What Soldering Iron!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Soldering Iron!?

I am looking to make a triband tiara, aliceband style, I plan to solder the bands together and add wirework spirals with solder.

I just do not know whether a standard electrical work soldering iron will do or if I need a more specific iron for the job?

I know it'll need a fine tip. But is the iron, solder and flux different from a standard soldering iron for the home, for this kind of craft?

Can anyone recommend an iron? there are so many on the market I don't know where to start!!

~Buffy x x
    "Buffys Charms" my lil ol' Blog

Buffys Charms Website

As far as I know Standard electrical solder is very weak and I don't think it would hold the wires together on the bands. I think you would have to use silver solder. It's been a while since I did silver work so There may be some thing else you could use.
    If you want a tool for the job my OH bought a gas powered soldering iron that can be used as a mini blow torch as well. I think he bought it from Maplins.

If you wraped the wires tightly enough and maybe put a dab of epoxy on it that might work.
    "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
    my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

If you are using a silver plated band or wire then you will not be able to solder them with silver solder and a blowtorch. It will ruin the plating and end up a mess.
      I'm not sure if a soldering iron will hold it together well enough. They are usually used in jewellery for connecting glass similar to stained glass panels in churches. Or like the pendants you see that are made from microscope slides with a picture in the middle and solder around the outside. They usually stick them together with copper tape and the solder sticks to the copper not the glass.
      Could you borrow a soldering iron from anyone and have a play?
      Otherwise you could use thinner gauge wire to attach the swirls as goldy said.

Melanie

Comment

Thank you Goldy and Melanie x x

I am using sterling silver wire, I was planning on a 40% silver solder & flux, not too sure even if that would cut it. maybe blow torch would be better.

I thought the alternative would be finer gauge wire wrap and epoxy resin. but wanted a crisp look, but the fine wrap would look cool I know, you know how it is when you get a mind set?!

I will stop being so impatient and borrow an iron and see, wonder if i can hunt down a blow torch too! .

Maybe research the solder a bit more too.

Thank you both so much for your help and advice x x

Buffys Charms Website

Comment

For soldering sterling you will need silver solder which is sold as hard, half hard, easy, extra easy. If you are soldering several times you start with hard which needs more heat to melt and move on through to easy which needs less heat so the first joins don't melt. You will also need flux to help the solder flow, and pickle to clean it afterwards. You can get probably get all of these from the same people you bought you wire from.
          Ganoksin have a lot of articles about soldering.
          http://www.ganoksin.com/site-map.htm
          All the DIY store sell torches I bought a bupane/propane one from Focus for under £15. It uses a cannister similar to a hairspray can.
          One small point if you are making them to sell,you cannot sell them as sterling silver if they are over 7grams in weight unless they are hallmarked. details here.
          http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/Generat...0&MENU_ID=1522

Hope this helps,

Melanie

Comment

Melanie that is fantastic!!

Thank you so much for that,
            It is very helpful

~Buffy x x

Buffys Charms Website

Comment

Not sure I can add much to some pretty good advice except to say I think you'll be better off soldering with a torch rather than an iron. Silvermaid summed up the rest very succinctly and cleverly!
              http://www.folksy.com/shops/silvermoss

http://silvermoss.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
              X