Bergamot Oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bergamot Oil...

....Bergamot is the stuff they flavour Earl Grey tea with.

I need to know if bergamot essential oil is edible. Himself is experimenting with chocolate truffle centre flavours......

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Sorry Jules not too sure. Has he bought the bergamot oil yet? If so check with the supplier I am sure they must know.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

No...

...not bought any yet.

We've been infusing heated fresh cream with Earl Grey tea, and that works, but it's very very delicate in taste. We'd like it to be a wee bit stronger.

I'm being completely selfless in the name of research, and eating all the chocolate I can. It's a terrible job, but someone has to do it..........

Jules
      Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

sounds like a rough job all that chocolate sampling let us know if you need help im sure there would be lots of volunteers
        Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sounds like fun but you may have to be a bit cautious with essential oils, the usual warning is not for ingestion, and I do know that use of bergamot on the skin in the sunshine can cause irritation. Is there any way of making the earl grey stronger? that may be safer.

Sue
          www.susiedolls.com
          www.susie1205.blogspot.com

Comment

I had a hunt on t'interweb and found nothing that sounded particularly safe about ingesting bergamot oil. I'd go the tea route if I were you!
            Trish

Comment

Hi Jules

Bergamot essential oil is what they use to flavour the tea.

It is, as others have said, very concentrated - think vanilla essence then think a bit more concentrated than that. Having said that the 10ml bottles (the usual supply size) come with droppers installed, so you can use literally a drop at a time. Be warned, bergamot is not a particularly low cost oil, but 10 ml will probably last for several years as long as it is kept somewhere cool, dry and dark.

If you decide to try it get bergaptin free type - you have a quality supplier of aromatherapy products in your neck of the woods.

Hope this information is of some use to you, and I'd be interested to know how things turn out.

Linda

Comment

Thanks Girls!

You've been a tremendous help!

I've found a supplier of bergaptin free bergamot oil on eBay. No too costly and I think just a tiny drop will give the truffle filling the edge it needs.

I had no idea there was a supplier in my area and I still don't know who it is though.

Jules
                Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Hi Jules

Have sent you a pm.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                  X