Best top-coat for a coaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best top-coat for a coaster?

I have made some coasters from UV resin and painted them with acrylic paint. Once I put a cup of hot water on, the paint melts a little so the coaster sticks to the cup and has an indent. What would your recommendations be for a clear top coat to stop or mitigate this?

I googled something like this for someone else, coasters and heatproof varnish. Unfortunately nothing really fitted the bill, the resin on its own still showed heat rings....someone in another forum suggested a layer of frame float glass which is only Around 2mm thick as the last layer on too of the resin....don’t know if that’s doable bit it would certainly be heatproof. The only paint I know that is truly heatproof is “Finnegan’s Hammerite” because they paint car engine parts, exhausts etc with it, usually dries with a dimpled, hammered effect but you can but it “Flat” and in an aerosol now.

Dave.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I thought that may be the case with resin. I'm going to try maybe a few layers of something if I can. The glass idea sounds good too

Comment

Working...
      X