X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glitter in snow globe sticks to globe sides

Hello!
    help!!
    I am experiencing a problem and I have talked to a number of people and so far no one has an answer. I made a glass jar snow globe for one family member and I used light mineral oil ( baby oil) and it works beautifully. I was making a second snow globe for a toddler and had the glass break before completion, so decided not to use a glass jar for safety reasons, and I managed to find an acrylic snow globe, Everything was fine until we put it together ( not glued yet) and the glitter stuck like glue to the sides of the acrylic globe and no amount of shaking would loosen it.--it was hydrostatically charged. So we dumped it and want to start over again.. In the glass jar it works great--in the acrylic it don't work.. I do NOT want to use water as they often grow algae and turn brown with age.. Any suggestions for a liquid other than water---or a "snow" other than glitter,? that will not become hydrostatically charged which causes the gliter to stick to the sides?? I tried "seed beads" total failure,. I am wondering if straight glycerin would work? Or will that cause the glitter to stick to the sides as well as the mineral oil. Is there another alternative to glitter for the "snow"
    thanks..

Hi, its because of the static in the acrylic. I use acrylic sheet for artwork. Peel the protective covering off and it will attract dust from anywhere...peel it off then run it under a tap or shower first, it kills the static. Oil I would imagine will not remove the static, probably add to it.
    As I posted before, I’ve never heard of filling a snow globe with mineral oil, only water and glycerin, the glycerin is added to the water to make it slightly viscous, thicker. Using mineral oil etc, you’ve also got to consider if it leaks, what comes out, what damage it could do, is it poisonous etc....
    Straight glycerin might be as bad as oil. In craft shops you can buy pots of fake snow that is used like glitter, trial and error I’m afraid.
    Give the inside and outside of the acetate globe a good rinse under the shower before you do anything to remove the static.

Dave.
    Last edited by 3dDave; 21-02-2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply... In glass jars the mineral oil--(baby oil ) works really well, falls a just the right speed, but the acrylic jar--well not so good! I am think I am going to try some of the "snow confetti" or "star confetti" I think it is bigger and heavier than the glitter.. yes it is trial and error---thanks again for the reply.

Comment

Just had a google, you are correct, quite a few “ How to’s” say to use baby oil however all say to use glass jars, I’m thinking maybe because of the problem with the static reaction between the oil and plastic pulling the bits to the sides.
        Good luck with finding the right combo.

Dave.

Comment

I am still trying things, and so far not working ......;-( Anyways, I was wondering if one uses a water base liquid and glycerin and put a couple drops of colloidal silver or white vinegar in the snowglobe is that would prevent algae growth /.turning brown, but then I am wondering if it might cause a chemical reaction --between the glycerin and vinegar.. anyone have any experience ??? ideas appreciated..thanks

Comment

I’m guessing no algae with water and glycerin, probably distilled water so there aren’t any minerals in it, google says using distilled eater helps prevent algae forming.

Dave.

Comment

I was wondering if wiping down the jar with a dryer sheet (the anti static types) and maybe even pouring out your glitter onto a sheet before adding it to the jar would help?

Comment

I have been told that using corn syrup instead of baby oil or water might work? any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                X