Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Advice

Hi there,

I don't know if you'd be able to help or not but I need some advice on materials.

Basically, long story short - I have a stepdaughter who doesn't want anything for christmas but has an idea for a game she'd like to make a reality. It is very intricate though and making this requires materials that I am unfamiliar with.

So, the question:

I need a solid material that can have pins (sequin art) taken in and out repeatedly without falling apart and losing consistency. It also needs to be able to have an image applied to it. Either printed or stuck on but it needs to also be able to withstand the sequin art. Is there any material or combo of materials that could be used to achieve this? I have in my head that there are some variations of polystyrene (black maybe) that might but I'm unsure what or how to find it.
    Last edited by thebusypapa; 10-12-2019, 12:19 PM.

I have given this some thought and felt that whatever you choose will eventually fall apart being treated like a pincushion.

This gave me the idea - maybe use a lace making pillow, this is designed to have pins in and out all the time.

I made my own lace making pillow with a small piece of blanket folded about 4 times. A strong but light piece of wood underneath and a top layer of cotton (mine was a piece of an old sheet) over the top and staple gunned on the back of the wood, keeping the blanket smooth and the cotton tight you end up with a good surface for pins to be stuck in.

Mine was about the size of an A4 piece of paper, you could make them smaller, but I don't think too much smaller than A5 would be easy to do.

As for the picture it depends on the complexity of the picture. If its a simple shape or picture you could use another piece of the old sheet and cut a piece big enough to cover the cushion and use fabric paints or markers to draw the pictures on.
    You could then cover the cushion with it and use drawing pins to hold it so you could change it.

I have no idea if this is the sort of thing you had in mind or even if its suitable for your stepdaughter and her abilities but I am sure with some help from you and perhaps some modifications taking into account your knowledge of her needs it could be made to work.

This of course is the DIY version, you can buy them ready made.

Hope this is of some help.
    Last edited by Lilly42; 09-12-2019, 07:46 PM.

Comment

The only thing I can think of, purely as a base material for numerous pins being poked into it is cork as in cork floor tiles....most other products would not stand up to as much wear and tear...

Dave.

Comment

Maybe the self healing material that is used for cutting mats but I have no idea if this can be purchased as a stand a lone item rather than the preprinted items that are sold for the purpose.

Mo.XX
        Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
        Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
        www.bodrighy.co.uk
        https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Thank you all for your answers so far. I really appreciate this. I need to look through her ideas and look at the info I have and what is viable under specific timeframes.

Really do appreciate your advice.

Comment

Self healing mats by Mo was a good suggestion, I have used them for years, sliced surgical blades across them thousands of times, for what you need they would probably be ideal. They are available in craft shops commonly up to probably from A4 to A1...

Comment

I agree self healing mats are good but I worry they won't be deep enough for pins, so maybe 2 or even 3 layers might do the job.

Shelley

Comment

Working...
              X