A question about packaging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about packaging

Hello, here's a weird question to start off my membership of Crafts Forum. I've started making toothpaste for the family, which I am very pleased with, but have no idea how to package it. It's currently in a jar, but as I don't want everyone dipping their salivery toothbrushes in it we have a plastic spoon to take out enough per brush. There must be a better dispenser, surely. I am wondering if anyone that knows more about all the packaging out there than me can suggest something more appropriate. Thank you

Roxy

Without huge expense to get it put into tubes I would stick with the old fashioned way we used to have toothpaste as a child. In an individual screw or push fit tins that you dipped your own toothbrush into which could then be rinsed out and refilled. There are metal or polycarbonate / plastic versions available, probably usually for small candles.

HTH

Mo.XX
    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    www.bodrighy.co.uk
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

I am laughing at my own doofiness. Of course each person should have their own little jar, thank you. We have been saving mini jam jars etc anyway. I wonder how long someone's own salivary bacteria can sit in their toothpaste before it becomes an issue. Perhaps I need to refill once a week.

Thank you!

Other thoughts also welcome.

Roxy

Comment

Any good ? Loads on line.

https://www.tinwaredirect.com/produc...ooth-screw-lid

http://www.ampulla.co.uk/Plastic-Scr...500ml/c-1-131/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/sample-pots

Mo.XX
        Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
        Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
        www.bodrighy.co.uk
        https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Originally posted by Roxy222uk View Post
          I am laughing at my own doofiness. Of course each person should have their own little jar, thank you. We have been saving mini jam jars etc anyway. I wonder how long someone's own salivary bacteria can sit in their toothpaste before it becomes an issue. Perhaps I need to refill once a week.

Thank you!

Other thoughts also welcome.

Roxy
          You would probably need a food safe preservative to stop bactueria building up.

Comment

I don't know what the consistency of your toothpaste is, but would a squeezy sauce bottle work?

Comment

Thank you. I think I need to work out what size because it would be easy for my kids to be tempted to scoop up the whole pot full in some of those diddy pots. It's a great idea though.

Roxy

Comment

You really should do some "challenge testing" - even if each person has their own pot, they would be dipping a dirty unsterilised tooth brush into it which would also have water on it.

Jane
                www.just-soaps.com
                Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

That's what I'm thinking, Jane. I have heard of 'challenge testing' but have never done it. Do you have a link to somewhere that explains it? I am not adverse to a preservative, but presume they have to be different to those for products that are only used on external skin. Hmmmm.

MustardS, it really is a similar consistency to commercial toothpaste, i.e. a paste. I found when it was thinner it got used up very quickly as it didn't have the right mouth feel.

Roxy

Comment

Argh, I can't post links yet, but I have discovered something called Humangear Go Toob on Amazon that might do the job. I just need a less pricey version. I wonder if any wholesalers make something similar. Also, now I am wondering how easy it would be to fill. Ah well, only one way to find the answer to that.

Roxy

Comment

Originally posted by Roxy222uk View Post
                      Argh, I can't post links yet, but I have discovered something called Humangear Go Toob on Amazon that might do the job. I just need a less pricey version. I wonder if any wholesalers make something similar. Also, now I am wondering how easy it would be to fill. Ah well, only one way to find the answer to that.

Roxy
                      Prettty sure they sell these on ebay as well

Comment

Look! It works really well. I got a cheaper version of the Humangear Go Toob from China and it's actually pretty good quality. It even has a suction pad to stick it up, and currently has yet to fall off the bathroom tile. I'm chuffed to pieces.

Oh crap, I can't put my photo up :-( because I use Photobucket and I can't post URLs yet. There isn't another way to share photos on here is there?

Roxy

Comment

You can use DIY packaging ideas. Better search in google.

Comment

Packaging is an aching question for me. I started with making soap and now I can make hair masks, shampoos, beewax cream and so on. I sell it to my friends or just give as a present.But Packaging!!! Finally I found everything I need in one on-line shop. They have also packages available in small quantities! It's really a problem, to buy a sweet bottle for my shampoo at a lower price))) I just looked through, they also have tubes) Hope, it could help you http://allinpackaging.co.uk/containers/tube/

Comment

Hello friend! I also make toothpaste for the whole family by myself too. I pack it in a few small jars , so that each family member has its own jar.
                              I actually like my homemade toothpaste much better than store bought and find it gets rid of onion and garlic breath better than any toothpaste I have ever used.

Comment

Working...
                              X