Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding extras when making soap

Hi there,
    I'm new to the whole soapmaking process.
    I was thinking of making a batch of coldprocess soap, but am thinking that the caustic soda and saponificaton will destroy the properties of any natural additives I add.
    Would it be better to make a basic soap, let it cure for a period and then rebatch, only adding the natural additives (essential oils etc) at that stage, as it is a much less harsh environment?

Thanks,
    Bigred

Hi there,

I am not very experienced - but I did have a disasterous batch of soap which I decided to rebatch. I found it a huge pain to do and made up my mind that next time I would probably ditch the batch rather than go to the hassle of rebatching.

If you put in the additives at trace you reduce the impact of the caustic soda - but you are right the caustic soda does have an impact. Not sure there is a way round this unless you use melt and pour....

Good luck x

Comment

why not try it hot process instead of cold process then you add in the essential oils and additives after the cook, although in a rinse of product anyway you are not going to get much benefits from them anyway

Comment

Best way is to let the soap come to trace and then add your essential oil / frangrances and botanicals. Then put into your moulds. No need to rebatch...

Happy soap making!
        x Maria

Website
        Blogging
        Facebook
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Bumble Bee View Post
          Best way is to let the soap come to trace and then add your essential oil / frangrances and botanicals. Then put into your moulds. No need to rebatch...

Happy soap making!
          but that way she will lose the benefits of what she wants to put in the soap
          because when you reach trace it hasn't started to saponify at that stage, it's when it goes through gel, so by doing the hot process you cook the soap first before adding in the essential oils and herbs etc, that way you keep the benefits although there is not much benefit in a rinse off product anyway.
          the essential oils are not on your skin long enough to make a difference

Comment

Originally posted by Bumble Bee View Post

Happy soap making!

i agree with you

Comment

have no idea about soap making but welcome to the forum
              Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by just_mai View Post
                but that way she will lose the benefits of what she wants to put in the soap
                because when you reach trace it hasn't started to saponify at that stage, it's when it goes through gel, so by doing the hot process you cook the soap first before adding in the essential oils and herbs etc, that way you keep the benefits although there is not much benefit in a rinse off product anyway.
                the essential oils are not on your skin long enough to make a difference
                I must have a try at hot process... I've been putting expensive EOs in CP soap and it seems like such a waste!
                www.purplesparkle.co.uk
                http://purplesparklecrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X