soap making business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soap making business

Hi, I'm a new member and I am looking for some information regarding setting up my own soap business.
    I am aware of the rules and regulations when producing soap, declaring allergens on labels, how to label your products, ICNI terminology, keeping records of products used and filing all formulas, but one thing I'm confused about is submitting your products for testing?

I am aware that before selling my products need to be sent off for testing to make sure they are safe and I am complying with regulations, using products that have been EU standard.... But what about the cost? I have visited some websites that state a price of £139. this is what the description says...We offer the option to certify your base soap recipe together with up to 6 different variations - each variation can include up to 5 additional ingredients, such as essential oils, colours, fragrance oils, extra superfatting oils, botanicals, clays etc

So does this mean 6 different soaps as long as the bases are all made the same? for example, I have 6 soaps all made made with lye, shea butter, coconut oil and sweet almond oil, some have different colours and fragrances. Would the lye and oils be the base? or would the base just be the CP method without oils added?
    What if I have 20 different variations of soaps and need to send them all off for testing? wouldn't this cost a fortune?

This is currently the only problem I am having with starting a business.
    any other things I may need to know before starting are also welcome.
    Last edited by beckii-x; 29-04-2016, 11:38 AM.

Hi and to The Crafts Forum.

Sorry I can't help you with this one but hopefully someone will come along shortly with an answer to your query.

Good luck with the new venture.

Mo.XX
    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    www.bodrighy.co.uk
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Welcome from me too.

Unfortunately, I can't help with your query but we have a couple of members who are very knowledgeable about the rules and regulation regarding selling soaps etc, but they're so busy they don't manage to visit every day. Be patient and someone will be along to help you, I'm sure.

Linda

Comment

Welcome to the whacky world of soap.

Why not ask your assessor exactly what is meant?

each assessor will be different

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

each assessor will be different - I agree

Comment

Working...
          X