Science week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science week...

My husband is in charge of the chemistry side of science week at a local girls school. Is there a simple soap recipe they could make - we know that some sort of fat and some sodium hydroxide. He might find something else in the interim, but it'll be a start!
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

This is the simplest recipe that i have.

The only thing with handmade soap is that you need to leave it to stablise and cure for 4 weeks before you can use it. I dont know of any recipe that is quicker apart from a melt and pour product, which isnt science really. So i dont know whether this is a quick enough process for him for school. I cut the recipe down by 2/3 which gives a 2lb block.

Hope its of some use!

Castile Soap

78 oz. olive oil

6 oz. coconut oil

6 oz. palm oil
    24 oz. cold water (if you want to up that, you can...soap will be softer after 24 hours. Don't exceed 32 ounces.)
    12 oz. lye crystals Oils at 140 degrees, Lye Solution at 110 degrees.
    Always wear safety googles, mask, apron.Heat the fats in a Bain Marie to the correct temp. Meanwhile mix the soduim (lye) and water together and wait till it gets to the above temp. Only mix together when there at the above temps.

Use a stick blender till it gets to trace (when the liquid gets gluppie and when you take the blender out it leaves a peak) At this point it does set quickly so you need to pour it at the early trace stage and not waste any time.

Leave it for 24 hours and then cut to desirered amounts.
    Leave the soap for a 4 week period for it top cure and stablise. Use before and it can cause skin irritation or burning.
    x Maria

Website
    Blogging
    Facebook
    Flickr

Comment

That's a really good idea Indri, exactly the sort of thing that would've got me more interested in Chemistry when I was at school.

I don't think the 4 weeks thing would necessarily be a problem, the girls will get the see the soap made and cut in slices during that week with the promise that they can all take home a slice at the end/beginning of term once it's cured
      Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Thanks that's useful. I'll print it off and hand it to him!! He used to do a bit of teaching to hair and beauty students at the place he last taught at - hence the cosmetics idea!

I think the other idea so far is to extract plastic from milk...

Biology are extracting DNA and physics was always boring! We're not sure what they're up to!

Just one quick question - about how long does it take as they'll be doing it in their lunch break?
        Last edited by indri; 21-02-2008, 12:22 PM. Reason: Question!!
        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

my daughter made some soap last term at school. It was quite a simple recipe I believe. haven't tried the soap yet though!
          Will see if she can remember the recipe and post it later

Comment

OOOO! Takes me about 45min with measuring out. So if he gets it all prep'ed it shouldnt be to bad. What college did he teach at might of known him? Taught at a few hair and beauty dept's myself.
            x Maria

Website
            Blogging
            Facebook
            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Bumble Bee View Post
              OOOO! Takes me about 45min with measuring out. So if he gets it all prep'ed it shouldnt be to bad. What college did he teach at might of known him? Taught at a few hair and beauty dept's myself.
              North Warwickshire and Hinckley college (can't put here what we call it but it was something someone else came up with when the 2 sites merged!). He worked at the Nuneaton site til last year.
              View my flickr

Comment

Simple recipe for you

Castor oil 2oz
                coconut oil 8oz
                olive oil 16 oz
                palm oil 6oz

water 12.16oz
                Sodium hydroxide 4.50 oz

makes just under 3lb of soap,

Always run a recipe through a soap calculator before using any recipe from a book or the internet there could be a mistake in the sodium hydroxide calculation
                http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalcWP.asp
                you can also formulate your own recipes

Comment

I was Leicester College and South Leicestershire College, so wouldnt know him. Thought i would just ask! Hope all goes well with the soap.
                  x Maria

Website
                  Blogging
                  Facebook
                  Flickr

Comment

I trained at North Warwickshire College but it was about 25 years ago now! Selina

Comment

Ah, you won't know him. He was only there in the last 10 years.... he's glad to have "escaped"!
                      View my flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X