Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e.oils in lipbalms

Hi.
    I've been making lipbalms with essential oils for their therapeutic benefits & scent. I can only add 0.5% of e.oils to the lipbalms. Peppermint smells fine but some others don't smell at all. I add them as soon as the wax is melted. Should I wait for temp to go down ?? Any advice appreciated x

I find that you need to add the oils when the mixture is melted and properly liquid otherwise they won't mix properly. I tend to use flavour oils mainly but guess it's the same from a practical point of view.

Comment

Essential oils, especially those which are classed as top notes contain volatile chemicals. These chemicals will evaporate at high temperatures. Try adding base notes to fix the scent and also add at a lower temperature.

Comment

On the subject of lip balm flavours, can you use food flavourings instead or is this a no no?

Comment

Yes, you should wait until it cools down to 45 degrees celsius or lower before adding eos. Like mentioned by someone else above, eos are volatile and must be added after cool down.

Comment

Working...
          X