Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential oils and babies

Hi everyone,

I want to make some products such as a basic balm for my children (DD is nearly 3 and DS is 9 months old). I read in my Essential Oil encyclopedia that there very few oils you can use on babies - Lavender, Chamomile, Calendula etc. but I've noticed that alot of baby products on the shelves of most supermarkets have 'natural' baby products with Tea Tree, Peppermint and Rosemary to name but a few.

Does anyone know why these essential oils are allowed in products suitable for babies or am I being over cautious?

Thanks,

Hi,

Welcome to the forum

To make/sell any product to go on human skin has to undergo stringentexpensive testing.

For the use of under 24 months of age, even more stringent/expensive testing has to be done which is why we only have 2 soaps and one balm tested as suitable of under 24 months.

Whilst it is great and only natural that you want to only use the very best on your children - unless you really know what you are doing - please only use less than 1% of lavender EO

HTH

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Thanks, Jane. I'm finding so much conflicting information about babies/young children and EO. Where is the best, most informative and reliable/accurate place to learn about this?

Comment

Hello

I don't know of an authoritative guide to essential oils. Opinions are divided on lots of oils, depending on how long ago it was written and/or which country the author comes from. We're more cautious about oils in the UK now. I qualified as an aromatherapist in the 90s and we were taught to use Lavender, Roman Chamomile and Mandarin for babies under 24 months in very small quantities (1% sounds right to me). These days some aromatherapy courses recommend don't use any EOs on babies and others only Lavender.

Hope that helps
        June

www.ironbridgesoap.co.uk
        https://twitter.com/IronbridgeSoap

Comment

I agree with Jane on this one...please don't use EO on children, unless you are a qualified aromatherapist or have the advice of one. You could always contact a local one an ask for a recipe or even for them to make the balm for you.

If you are wanting to make a balm really natural for the little ones, why not make one that's unfragranced? There's some compelling evidence to suggest that the growing use of 'cosmetics' on children's skin and in their baths is causing a rise in skin conditions, such as psoriasis and eczema. As a long time sufferer of eczema (from birth) I would always advocate to not use anything perfumed or with chemicals in...I didn't even use soap until in my 30's...when my skin was less reactive

Hope this helps

Jude
          for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
          plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
          Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Thanks, Jude. I appreciate what you're saying and honestly, I probably would leave out the EO in the balm anyway. However, I'd like to know why, if so many seasoned crafters on the site advocate to omit pretty much all EOs from baby products, why they're used so freely in commercial products that claim to be suitable for even newborns! It really worries me! I've tried to find the simplest of products for my LOs but all I've found have at least one EO in them. Wipes, Shampoos, Lotions, Creams - you name it.

I know plain water is the cleanser of choice for newborns but, bless them, babies can be stinky, mucky little things and sometimes I feel water is not enough to clean them thoroughly. I won't go into further details but all the mums out there will know exactly what I mean!

Understanding EOs as many of you lovely members do , would you purchase the commercial products knowing they had EOs in them or make your own without?

Comment

Originally posted by Katieve View Post
              I'd like to know why, if so many seasoned crafters on the site advocate to omit pretty much all EOs from baby products, why they're used so freely in commercial products

Understanding EOs as many of you lovely members do , would you purchase the commercial products knowing they had EOs in them or make your own without?
              Suspect many commercial products we see in shops contain only a tiny amount of essential oils, are tested lots and if they caused problems would be withdrawn pretty quickly. Individual therapists are more cautious because even one adverse reaction would be awful and our insurance demands we only use EOs in accordance with our training so wouldn't cover us.

I know aromatherapists who happily used commercial products on their babies without any problems. Maybe test on a small area to see if there's a reaction?
              June

www.ironbridgesoap.co.uk
              https://twitter.com/IronbridgeSoap

Comment

commercial products that are compliant with IFRA regulations can sell their products with essential oils. It can be as small as 0.01% but hard to know unless you see their formula. But I would always be cautious about using essential oils on infants and young children. Robert Tisserand's Essential Oil Safety is a reliable resource. I've seen someone here say stay below 1% but even 1% is too high for children (you wouldn't even use 1% in a face product for adults) and of course you can only use a few essential oils safely.

Comment

I usedessential oils for my baby since she was 4 month old - id didn't harm

Comment

Working...
                  X