Safety testing please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety testing please help

Hi looking for safety testing for essential oil body products but they all seem to have a 1% max essential oils requirement. ? I was hoping to be able to add a bit more than this can anyone recommend a company please ?

The safe limit on safety assessments is 1%.

Comment

Thank you , does this mean that whatever company I use I have to use 1% ? I'm very confused as I was told up to 50 drops per 100 ml was ok but that equates to over 1%

Comment

Originally posted by kathkat View Post
        up to 50 drops per 100 ml was ok but that equates to over 1%
        Surely it depends on the size of the drops.

This is an example of why (a)mixing units of measurements is never a good idea and (b) using unstandardised units of measurement is an even worse idea.

If you used a correctly-calibrated medical micro-drip system, there are 60 drops to the ml, so 50 of those drops in 100ml would be somewhat less than 1%. A standard macro-drip set can deliver as few as 10 drops per ml, so 50 of those drops would be much more than 1%.

Comment

Hi thank you for the reply , the drops I use are just the dropper already in the essential oil bottle.
          Therefore I'm confused myself now as to what 50 drops from the bottle equates to as I thought it was 2.5%

Comment

Everything for assessment must be in weight rather than volume. If you haven't already, invest in some jewelry scales. They are approx £5 on ebay.

Comment

Thank you it's very confusing for a beginner

Comment

Originally posted by kathkat View Post
                Hi thank you for the reply , the drops I use are just the dropper already in the essential oil bottle.
                Therefore I'm confused myself now as to what 50 drops from the bottle equates to as I thought it was 2.5%
                The only thing that is confusing is that you are using a non-standard, and non-standardised, unit of measurement. Thus neither you nor anyone else has any way of knowing either the volume or the weight of a drop from 'the dropper', and still less of accurately replicating it with a new oil, a new dropper or different atmospheric conditions.

Hence the requirement, as BBB states, for the use of a standardised measurement system.

There can and must be no excuse for confusion about percentages or proportions of possibly-hazardous chemicals when one standard - and standardised - unit of measurement is used exclusively by everyone.

Comment

As an aromatherapist I shared Kathkat's confusion when I started making soap as I too was trained to use drops. We were also taught 20 drops equalled 1ml (hence the 2.5%) which is ok for small blends but as Eena points out unless you use a standard measure it's impossible to be precise.

For soap making I measure everything in grams for consistency across the recipe. That can also be more confusing as usually 1ml=1gm but essential oils weights can vary so it's worth weighing each individual oil.

Typically, if you're making creams and lotions for sale, then the essential oil limit is 1% and that's what I work to. It's frustrating compared to the percentages I used as an aromatherapist but it's worth looking at some of the really good fragrance oils around. These are much more reasonably priced and typically the fragrances last longer than essential oils even if, sadly, they don't have the same therapeutic qualities.
                  June

www.ironbridgesoap.co.uk
                  https://twitter.com/IronbridgeSoap

Comment

The millilitre is a unit of volume and the gram is a unit of mass(weight).

One ml of water at standard temperature and pressure has a mass of one gram.

One ml of lead, sugar, feathers or air does not. They all have different densities - some are more dense (ie 1ml is heavier than 1gm) than water, and some are less dense (ie 1ml is less heavy than 1gm) than water.

Essential oils, and other ingredients, are exactly the same in that they are all different. Sometimes the differences are very small; sometimes they are larger. By using grams as the sole unit of measurement, consistency and accuracy can be achieved.

In addition, mass, ie weight in grams, is not affected by normal changes in ambient temperature and pressure, but volume, measured in millilitres, most certainly is.

Comment

Working...
                    X