Virgin Coconut oil ? Lots of questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Coconut oil ? Lots of questions

Ive gone and imported a bulk of this virgin coconut oil, Seening how exps it was in the uk, on ebay.
    problem is i think im going to get stuck with it, i got some lab to run a test on it the lab results said it has 53% lauric acid, which is good,

But Ive seen some suppliers selling it bulk prices of 25kg at 11£ odd a kg ex vat and postage, and down to 10£ plus vat for 100kg and postage.

What is the cheapests it sells for, ? Ive noticed a few brands do not offer a lab result sheet for there product which is a bit iffy, i asked a few and none gave me 1 or they gave soil accs cerf

And the lab i found only do fatty acid tests is there a lab that dose a full test ?
    do the soil accs do and tests ? Or do the just check the imported cerf ?

Am i better off selling it in small 1kg or bulk ? Or even smaller 500grams,

Why dose it cost 16-18 £ a kg ? hense the reason i imported it in the 1st place,

Am i better of making soap with the bulk amount i have and then selling the soap on ?
    As im starting to think coconut oil is not that sort after ?
    Dose it make good soap ?

why did you buy it, if you have no idea what todo with it?.

Comment

Ive asked 5 or more questions and your reply is another question,

And ive said i bought it to sell it but am in 2nd thoughts, above is the q's i have,

Comment

I use coconut oil to make soap. Refined coconut oil makes excellent soap so there is relatively little incentive to pay extra for a virgin product.

For a soap maker, any oil supplier should have an Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for their products (Google MSDS for more info/an example). We need this for our records.

Unless you know what you're doing making soap can be dangerous for you and anyone who uses your soap. Setting up as a soapmaker is relatively expensive and time consuming so I doubt would justify the time and effort. Most soaps use a combination of oils so you'd need to buy more stuff, sort out packaging etc and there's a ton of regulatory stuff you need to do to avoid falling foul of trading standards.

Finally sometimes folk ask questions to help give a better answer so, if you're trying to pick brains, it helps to be polite.
        June

www.ironbridgesoap.co.uk
        https://twitter.com/IronbridgeSoap

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedoils View Post

And ive said i bought it to sell it but am in 2nd thoughts, above is the q's i have,
          Most of the questions you have asked are ones which you are as well, or better, able to find the answers to as anyone here on the forum.

What is the cheapests it sells for, ?
          All anyone in the forum can tell you is the lowest price for which they have found it. It may well not be the lowest price, and they may well not be willing to reveal their own 'trade secrets' anyway.

is there a lab that dose a full test.?
          I think you would have to inquire among a variety of labs as to the range of tests they provide.

do the soil accs do and tests ?
          Whoever the soil accs are, asking them directly would be the best way to get accurate, up-to-date information about the services they offer.

Or do the just check the imported cerf ?
          Again, asking them directly would be the best way to find out.

Am i better off selling it in small 1kg or bulk ?
          You need to research your market to make the best decision for yourself.

Why dose it cost 16-18 £ a kg ?
          You need to ask the producers, refiners, shippers and suppliers that question, not the members of a craft forum.

Am i better of making soap with the bulk amount i have and then selling the soap on ?
          If you are an experienced soap maker, and have full current certification for all your ingredients (including the coconut oil), recipes and processes, and established markets in place, then perhaps it might.

As im starting to think coconut oil is not that sort after ?
          That is, unfortunately, something you should have clarified for yourself before importing the oil.

Dose it make good soap ?
          Again, if you were importing it to sell on for soap-making, that is something that should have been researched prior to its importation.

I think that's all of your NINE questions answered.

I, like Chimeracraft, would like to ask you one question in return. The same question.

Why did you import it if you don't know what to do with it now you've got it?

Comment

Sounds expensive to me, we pay around £2.00 per kilo.

How much did you import?

Jane
            www.just-soaps.com
            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
            FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by eena View Post
              I, like Chimeracraft, would like to ask you one question in return. The same question.

Why did you import it if you don't know what to do with it now you've got it?
              Can i just please say, i wasnt being rude as such, if a person is lost theres not point in asking why are you lost ? no one is getting anywhere like that,

So onwards, i posted here to get a better idea of how to market it and which ave to take, i have search this forum like a google bot,

I bought it at a great price, and the amount min bulk was high 200L as it was direct from the farm, plus i saw how expensive it was here in uk but i was more so thinking id use it in a soap as olive oil and sheep fat is what i currently use, but it seems many use refined coconut oil anyway,

When i searched virgin coconut oil was the must have, but after asking ppl the outcome is refined is just as good, as its cheaper and ppl just want to make extra profits,

Now after asking around it seems it more of a health product then a soap making Ing product, its more of body creams or hair or healthy product for eating then soap making,

Thank you for your post, id love to send u a sample pls let me know, Its raw cold pressed coconut oil organic certification usda cert,
              Last edited by Confusedoils; 28-11-2013, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
                Sounds expensive to me, we pay around £2.00 per kilo.

How much did you import?

Jane
                Jane please dont say thats virgin coconut oil, ?? The market price is £1.80 based on a ton virgin cold pressed coconit oil,

200L

Comment

And I've said i bought it to sell it but am in 2nd thoughts, above is the q's i have,
                  Well you seem to have brought it with no idea what todo with it or even what its used for.
                  Most of your questions are things YOU should have researched and looked up BEFORE you purchased such a high volume of something.
                  This small craft forum does not have all your answers and won't really be any help to you, next time do your research before you buy something!.

As most people on here specialize in handmade items using better quality parts than can be found from mass market products they expect supplier to know what they are selling.(In part because they are paying more for what they are buying)
                  Including how it is sourced and how best to use it in a certain craft or any advice needed, you don't have any of this so personally i would not buy from you.

Comment

I just want to say Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by chimeracraft View Post
                      Well you seem to have brought it with no idea what todo with it or even what its used for.
                      Most of your questions are things YOU should have researched and looked up BEFORE you purchased such a high volume of something.
                      This small craft forum does not have all your answers and won't really be any help to you, next time do your research before you buy something!.

As most people on here specialize in handmade items using better quality parts than can be found from mass market products they expect supplier to know what they are selling.(In part because they are paying more for what they are buying)
                      Including how it is sourced and how best to use it in a certain craft or any advice needed, you don't have any of this so personally i would not buy from you.
                      Im sorry but i dont know what your going on about,
                      I havnt said " i have no idea what to do with it" if it seems to you then thats what you seem to believe, plus now your saying i dont know what im selling? Where are u getting this info from not from my words,.thank you for the bashing.

You are right about this being a small craft forum tho, i get that point, im just 1 person with a full time just trying to move in to something i enjoy. Which is making soap ,creams etc and i must say importing, doing everything is hard, i will sell the coconut oil not a issue, ive got leads from supermarkets and ice cream makers, hair salons, just trying to break down which route, i got the product with idea to sell to soap makers which seems not fit, Bumped into a lady from creme de la mer she was very helpful she could of said why did u buy it for, but she didnt amazing, i do believe if you try hard be honset things do work out, sorry but not a fan of luck
                      Last edited by Confusedoils; 30-11-2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

sorry but not a fan of luck
                        I

am a great fan of luck - it is after all where careful planning meets opportunity?

Jane
                        www.just-soaps.com
                        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I havnt said " i have no idea what to do with it" if it seems to you then thats what you seem to believe, plus now your saying i dont know what im selling? Where are u getting this info from not from my words,.thank you for the bashing.
                          I am sorry, but from the list of questions posed in your first post (and reproduced here in red) you did indeed give the impression that you knew very little or almost nothing about what you had imported 'on spec'.

Everything you asked about were things which one would have expected a responsible importer - from whom a craftsperson likes to buy their raw materials - to have sorted out before even commencing the importation process.

I hope that you have taken professional advice from your insurers and the fire service regarding safe storage and flammability of this oil.

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
                            I am a great fan of luck - it is after all where careful planning meets opportunity?

Jane
                            you kinda double coined that... tricky
                            but my view
                            Lucky is doing the lotto and winning
                            After all the hard work your doing, planning, marketing, talks with buyers..suppliers understanding the chems, making the soaps , and making a profit!, to call that luck is a insult,
                            opportunities are all around us we just need to be hungry to get them, luck would make the rare, step out of the save zone which we have built, if you miss 1 theres always another around the corner,

Enna, thanks for the answers, msds covers all that, inc. covered at holding unit

Thank you ppl its going good,

Comment

I also first buy and then think what should I do))

Comment

Working...
                              X