Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - Soap Making...

Hi everyone

I am moving house in the new year and I am get 'itchy fingers' of wanting to start a new craft .... I have been card making for years and while I still enjoy it I wish to try something new

I have been looking into soap making and everything I have read so far seems pretty scary!!

I have found one place in Devon (where I am moving to) that certifies your recipe (if you purchase your products from them) for £139 plus VAT for 1 recipe with up to 8 variations... does this sound like an acceptable amount to pay?

Also, I have been looking into soap making courses.... has anyone ever been on one? The one I found is £80 plus VAT for a 10am - 4pm day course with lunch.. would that be about right?

Any advice welcome x

your stuck if you want to buy your ingredients from anywhere else.
    get an assessment from a proper assessor.

Comment

well there is that... but I figured to start with... it is thesoapkitchen
      Last edited by indri; 18-11-2013, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Not a fan of their products TBH i find their website terrible and expensive but each there own!.

Comment

that's one of the reasons I posted on here too, as obviously I am only at the research stage right now so all help,advice, opinions etc are welcomed

Comment

Welcome to the forum and to soapmaking.

Personally, I would first of all wait until you have created a formula that you will be happy to sell, before you look at safety assessments.

Talk with your local TS (trading Standards) dept - they are really helpful.

Then I would consider using an independent assessor - as stated above by using a supply you are locked into having to buy from them which can prove more expensive in the long run

Have fun

Jane
            www.just-soaps.com
            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
            FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
              Welcome to the forum and to soapmaking.

Personally, I would first of all wait until you have created a formula that you will be happy to sell, before you look at safety assessments.

Talk with your local TS (trading Standards) dept - they are really helpful.

Then I would consider using an independent assessor - as stated above by using a supply you are locked into having to buy from them which can prove more expensive in the long run

Have fun

Jane
              Thank you - yes I realise it will be a while before the assessments are needed - I am just a bit of a planning freak lol, and as its all new to me I wasn't sure of the prices.

Would you recommend going on a soap making course? Or are they a waste of money really? After reading lots I really want to give cold process a shot as I know I will be totally making from scratch

Thank You x

Comment

We went on Melinda Coss course in France when we started, we also now run courses for CP, we are just finalising details for next year.

Jane
                www.just-soaps.com
                Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
                  We went on Melinda Coss course in France when we started, we also now run courses for CP, we are just finalising details for next year.

Jane
                  Oh cool, I am moving to Devon in January so will be looking around that area x

Comment

Definitely think training is worthwhile. I did a two day Soap Boot camp at Soap School and really enjoyed it. Was great to learn from experts, meet other enthusiasts, try different techniques/ingredients and get to grips with the legal stuff.

Can't remember the price but sure you can find it on google. Whatever it cost was worth it. I saved so much time and money using what I learned there.

Best of luck
                    June

www.ironbridgesoap.co.uk
                    https://twitter.com/IronbridgeSoap

Comment

wsp have a tutorial
                      Last edited by itunu; 30-11-2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X