Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time excitement!!

Woop so excited!
    I've just bought the ingredients for my first attempt at soap making! Going to attempt a Christmassy orange and cinnamon bar along with a vanilla and black pepper! Can't wait to see how they turn out!!

Have fun with the soap making and let us know your achievements or if it goes wrong! Someone will be able to help you if you need it!
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Disastrous I used a recipe from the channel 4 website. Probably I should have used one a LOT more specific! After about 50 minutes of mixing with an electric mixer the soap hadn't traced at all! I decided to have a go at putting it in the moulds anyway so I divided my mixture to add the different scents etc. I put the orange and cinnamon one into a mould and then thought maybe I should reheat the vanilla one and that may help with the trace.................It didn't!! I heated it and mixed some more then poured it into the mould, at which point it all separated and went into about 3 different coloured oily layers with a big curdled mess on top! This got disposed of! I will see what happens with the other one that I poured into the mould but I do not have high hopes! I have just ordered Melinda Coss's book as I have seen quite a few posts about it on this forum! Better luck next time!

Comment

Ah well, at least you tried. Fingers crossed you have better results when you get your book!
        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Hey

Don't be disheartened, i wouldn't have a clue about soap making to be honest so good for you.... but when i first stated making my cards and favour boxes nothing went right and i was always disappointed with them as things never went right...like anything in life a little practice and patience and things will come together slowly

Comment

Thanks guys! To be honest I was a bit disheartened but I know it's only the first time and things can only get better right? The one I poured into the mould actually seems to be setting so I will keep an eye on that one and see what happens! And both of them definitely smelled good

Comment

Smelling good is probably half the battle. I don't know what other soap makers go (I am not one), but I imagine soap making is much like doing experiments in a lab. If you keep notes on what you did and what went right or wrong, you can make adjustments accordingly until you find a recipe that works for you. Good luck with the soap that is potentially setting. I nearly gave up knitting because I couldn't get it right, but my friend who was teaching me told me not to be so stupid and that I would get it eventually. I'm sure we've all been there at some point in our crafting!
              View my flickr

Comment

Sorry your first attempt wasn't perfect. As a fellow soapmaker all I can say is that you learn something every time a batch doesn't work out. First time I used my precious essential oils it not only traced much faster than I was used to, the mix seized like concrete in seconds, I was left with a solid mass in my soap pot which was forced into the mould and looked dreadful. After that I learned how important temperature was, to watch for trace like a hawk and eventually how to rebatch!

Should all be much easier if you work from a detailed recipe. I've got Melinda Coss' book also Anne L Watson's smart soapmaking is good too.

Better luck next time
                June

www.ironbridgesoap.co.uk
                https://twitter.com/IronbridgeSoap

Comment

Sorry to hear about your first go. A free step by step soap making tutorial here - www.makingskincare.com - includes ingredients, suppliers, easy recipe, swirl videos etc.

Good luck.
                  Last edited by itunu; 23-09-2013, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Woo hoo! Second attempt went much better! It's just a simple olive oil soap with an orange scent! It traced and solidified in my moulds without separating! My book arrived too so looking forward it trying a recipe from that! Thanks for everyone's help!

Comment

Yay! That's great you had more success the second time

As they say: If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Onwards and upwards!
                      Autumn Thyme

Comment

Yay! Love soapmaking when it all works out. Well done for sticking with it.
                        June

www.ironbridgesoap.co.uk
                        https://twitter.com/IronbridgeSoap

Comment

Working...
                        X