Newbie bath bomb maker query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie bath bomb maker query

I received my first order of ingredients today and immediatley got stuck in to the making as I was so excited. I made 3 different batches and the first 2 were fine but my last one hasn't worked. The recipes were the same apart from colouring and scent changes. The last batch just wouldn't stick together and I was using more and more witch hazel. The only thing I can think of is I may have reversed the quantities of the the citric acid and bicarb. Does anyone know if I had would I have experienced the problem I did?
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/328875873869007/

Hiya....I'm sorry you had problems, but it's not unusual for a bath bomb mix to just refuse to stick. I use a 2:1 ratio of Sodium to Citric and that works fine, for me. A lot of people use a 3:1 ratio (I expect your kit or recipe advised that ratio)...and that seems fine for them. It shouldn't make too much difference unless you noticed the citric had begun to fizz -although just because the citric is reacting it doesn't necessarily stop it sticking.

The only things I can suggest are:

1) Did you mix all your sodium and citric and then divide it up into batches of 3? If so, the sodium will already have started absorbing moisture from the air - this might cause the mix not to stick.
    2) I have had some fragrances that appear to be more awkward than others - Geranium EO seems one of my worst and I always need a little more water for that one. BTW I use tap water rather than going to the expense of buying witch hazel.
    3) Did you start making the 3rd batch and stop for any reason? I have also experienced the non-sticking when a batch either took longer than expected or I got interrupted by the phone - and no amount of water will start it sticking again. The only thing you can do it pop it in bags and call it fairy dust
    4) Yes...colour sometimes seems to stop the sticking - did you use powder or water based?

Hope some of this helps...don't give up, it takes a while to learn the little quirks and foibles of bath bomb making but it is very rewarding once you crack it.

We have some recipe books on our site - as well as a very comprehensive bath bomb making booklet - it's on the recipe section of our site (link in the signature) - it's proved invaluable to many

Good luck

Jude
    for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
    plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
    Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Hi Jude - thanks so much for your reply. I weighed each batch seperately so none of the ingredients were left hanging around. This third batch that went wrong had no colouring at all just some glitter (which I also used in batch no 2) and a different fragrance oil not essential oil. I was using a 2:1 ratio and am lost to why the last lot was such a disaster and could only come up with mixing up the ingredients. I'm completely hooked after my first go already and am keen to pursue this especially as my day job is a massage therapist so I'm trained in aromatherpy. I've bookmarked your page
      Last edited by aromaannie; 16-07-2013, 07:37 PM.
      http://www.facebook.com/groups/328875873869007/

Comment

You're welcome....

I guess it was just one of those things....I've had it happen too with no apparent reason
        for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
        plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
        Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Working...
        X