New Assesment...feel like crying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Assesment...feel like crying

So today I receive my 'new' assesment. Over 700 pages long!!! I got to around 300 pages (after yesterdays stint with the portal website I am losing the will to live) and noticed that a lot looks like its changed. Maybe its just me and I will no doubt have to plough through old versus new to see what has changed. Does anybody out there happen to know what the main changes are, as right now I feel more confised that when I first started out over 14 months ago!?!?!?!

Have a chat with your local TS dept, mine was most helpful - they are not yet fully conversant with it all, but they will talk you through the absolute musts.

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Please don't get too downhearted. Just check them one at a time. Are you with Cosmetic Safety Assessments? If you are they are very helpful. I've sent off an email with some queries but they are very busy at the moment and have't replied yet. I'll send a reminder if I don't hear soon.

There are some changes to the assessments. The most confusing one is the bath melt/bath truffle one as the new percentages for butters and oils are completely different to the recipe I already have. This is one of the things I am querying.

Comment

That's me too Diane, and also witch hazel? Where did that one fall off? lol
        Tweaking recipies this morning.

Comment

If you're tweaking bath melts can you let us know on here how you do it.

I was told by Rachael at Cosmetic Safety Assessments a few months ago that "witch hazel and surgical spirit are not present in the end product, just used in manufacture, so you are fine to use those". I have quoted verbatim from her email to me.

The other really annoying thing is that honey powder has replaced liquid honey in all the assessments (bar lip balms you can no loner use honey, cocoa powder or ground coffee in those. So annoying). Not only is liquid honey easier to combine into products using mainly wet and melted ingredients, it's not that easy to source in the UK. I've only found three suppliers - Soap Kitchen, Gracefruit and Of a Simple Nature. The cost of the powder is ok but the postage rates (around £4 or more) make it a very expensive product to use, practically doubling the cost in most cases.

I just hope that we won't be stung too much if we want to add ingredients to our assessments post 10 July. I'm not hopeful though - I was quoted "no more than £25" to add sucrose to my M&P soap base assessment. Ouch!
          Last edited by Diane Allen; 01-07-2013, 10:54 AM. Reason: added wording

Comment

I'm so glad its not just me. Thankfully my close friend is an IT genius in his day job and has created a MAGICAL spreadsheet. ALl I did was enter the new limits and voila. Up popped all my 'failed' recipes under the new regs. One thing that is REALLY baffling me is the M&P part. Most of my products are body products but I also do M&P soap (I leave the cold process to those more knowledgable!). But, my new licence says I can only use a max limit of 85%?!?! What on earth am I meant to do, I only want to add a max of 1% fragrance and colour so what am I meant to do with the remaining 13%? I don't necessarily want to add more oils/butters/botanicals? I have also sent a list of enquries but I know they are flat out and it will probably take them a bit of time to come back to me. I am also now registered on the CNPC, and although I have seen that it seems really easy I'm not wure whether there is a deadline for getting all your products on there? Do they all have to be registered by 11th or is it a case of when we can get them on there then great? WOuld love to hear from others as I'm not sure who to ask anymore?!?

Comment

My assesor was as usual totally on the ball and it seems that it was a typo (phew wipes brown i relief), it should have said 85>%:-) YAY

Comment

I am glad it's just not me...I will have to change my recipes as well and it is really stressing me out... II have to get a new assessment from Scott for cold process as I had mine done through Soap Kitchen before and it's going to cost me £200 something to update so I have to send a list of ingredients of my 20 something soaps! like life is not hard enough! I love the recipes I have got at present and would hate to change them, it's giving me a headache! sorry guys badly needed to let it out...

Comment

Am I pleased to find this forum!! In hindsight being a bit mad I decided to look in to producing natural cosmetics since I was made redundant and I Love chemistry. To add to the complication of starting at the same time as new regulations I'm also moving to France! I received my very comprehensive safety report and I am now plodding on trying to get in to a position to start when I move to France next week but reading all the info of what I need to do I'm starting to regret the decision but find it hard to stop now I've spent money on assessments and materials. It wouldn't be so bad if I was doing something with dangerous chemicals but I'm only using natural oils and butters. Thank you to everyone who has shared info in these posts so far they have been very useful to me.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think there are a lot of us really confused by why it's been brought in for small scale producers who are making very innocuous products. I can understand the need to regulate the big boys who are filling their products with pentepepcides??? (What ARE pentepeptides any how?)...I did just want to say that, although the directives are European, you will find differences in how each member state implements and regulates them, so do check on the French regulations....Good luck
                    for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
                    plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
                    Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Hi Welcome to the forum

The new regs have caused some confusions and as for the online portal - it keeps crashing, I think they totally underestimated how many people would be loading all their info onto it.

France - do be careful - I know many small time soap makers have had to stop making in France - they interpret the EU regs totally differently to the UK

Jane
                      www.just-soaps.com
                      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by Ecosteve View Post
                        It wouldn't be so bad if I was doing something with dangerous chemicals but I'm only using natural oils and butters.
                        Can I just point out that 'natural' does not equate with 'safe', any more than 'chemical' equates with 'dangerous'.

Comment

Originally posted by eena View Post
                          Can I just point out that 'natural' does not equate with 'safe', any more than 'chemical' equates with 'dangerous'.
                          Eloquent as usual EEna:-)
                          www.just-soaps.com
                          Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
                            Eloquent as usual EEna:-)
                            ... you should have heard my verbal excoriation of a soapy without documentation who I came across by chance a week or so ago at a charity fair.

'All natural and hand-made!' was the patently-false claim.

Innocently I asked what sort of wood she had burnt to extract her lye from, as I'd heard apple wood ash gave the highest alkali content.

I mean, that's the natural way to produce lye for the saponification process ...

A fellow trader, a cup-cake maker, gave the soapy muppet some timely advice about safety regulations, insurance, the legal situation, trading standards and environmental health. She thought it best to leave the reality of HMRC for another fair (if there is one!).

And hemlock, aconite and henbane are all just as natural as lavender, rose-petals and oatmeal ...

Comment

Eena - that was deliciously wicked
                              Do not watch this space

Comment

Working...
                              X