What do you charge per bar of soap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you charge per bar of soap?

I read somewhere that you should charge double the cost price to gain a wholesale price and then double that to get your RRP. Ok, well I've just calculated that it costs me approx £1.50 to produce 1 bar of unscented CP soap. If I follow the above guidelines that would make it a wholesale price of £3 and an RRP of £6
    Now i know the likes of Jo Malone are charging double that for a bar of soap but even still it seems a bit steep to me and I can't imagine people at craft fairs forking out £6 for a bar of soap. Am I wrong, do people charge this much? If not how much do you charge and how much of that is profit? Do you follow the double it and double it again guidelines?

My friend sells her handmade soaps £3.45 for an 80gram bar if that's any help.

Comment

I make melt & pour - a slice costs me approx. 80p to produce including labelling & packaging. I originally charged £2.50 per slice or 3 for £6, but have dropped them to £2 per slice & 3 for £5 and now I sell far more. Taking tax into consideration I still make a small profit, but will never be able to leave my full time job for soap making - but saying that it is more of a hobby for me rather than a big money making venture. I would pay more for CP but there is no point in pricing yourself out of the market - try to see what others are pricing at in the area.

Comment

£1.50 cost price for a bar of CP sounds very high.

What is your batch size - what oils are you using?

Can you reduce some overheads?

Jane
        Last edited by greannancrafts; 22-04-2013, 06:30 PM.
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

It costs me around £1.50 a bar to make CP aswell.. I've only just started out though so am only buying in 1kg quantities

Comment

I'm just experimenting with ingredients at the moment and that figure is based on my most expensive bar which has butters and more expensive oils like avocado in it. I don't know yet which recipe I'll go with because they are currently curing and I'm just starting out but if I did decide that was the best bar then I don't think I'd want to change the recipe just to cut the price. I could eventually cut the cost by buying bulk stock in but until stuff gets selling, I'm reluctant to buy too much of anything.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X