Brown/orange bits in cp milk soaps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown/orange bits in cp milk soaps

I am at my wits end with this! For a while now my cp milk soaps have been getting browny orange bits in them. It is happening with most batches I make, which is a lot! The milk is always frozen and kept cool during the time I add the sodium hydroxide. Occasionally it does heat up and go an orange colour, but this has always been ok in the past. I have been making milk soaps for around 4 years now. When i add the lye to the oils there are no bits, but sometimes when i start mixing they form, other times it is within hours of pouring the soap into moulds. All the research i have done suggests it is the milk burning. But this is happening with every batch, and only in the past few weeks. The bits arent caustic, and the soap is ok to use, just looks awful! I have to throw it away. I was wondering if the goats milk is extra creamy, with more sugars in? Has anyone else experienced this?
    Thanks x

Sounds like DOS-Dreaded Orange Spot

Here is a link you may find useful?

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/so...sary/g/dos.htm

You will find many other sites looking at the problem

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

No. I dont think it is DOS. It happens when im mixing the lye with the oils, sometimes there are a few in the lye solution first. Its always happened, but never made a difference to the soap. The 'bits' are solid, and i can dig them out with a knife! But divets all over the soaps look worse than the bits themselves!

Comment

Do you use the same ingredients with every batch? Just wondering if there is an undesirable extra ingredient/ additives lurking in any of the oils or the lye perhaps, just a thought.

Comment

I do use the same ingredients with every batch, although I have changed my Coconut oil supplier. But it is the same make of cocnut oil! I was wondering how they could do so cheap though compared to everyone else?? It is in date, and the box fully sealed. Because the 'bits' are sometimes in the lye solution, before getting added to the oils i'm thinking the problem starts there? It pretty much happens with every batch, some a lot worse than others. I have dug out of the freezer some old milk, which I will use for the next batch and see if it happens with that. If it dos, I think then it may be a sodium hydroxide problem. Can you get impurities in sodium hydroxide? Thats the trouble with soap! when it goes wrong there are so many things to rule out before working out the problem!

Comment

Have you tried running the made up lye through a metal sieve before adding to the oils?

Jane
            www.just-soaps.com
            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Is it 100% sodium hydroxide? I've heard that some commercial brands add extras to it but it should say on the label if so

Comment

I have one on order!! Just waiting for it to turn up. The only thing im worried about that is where the lye solution can be quite thick, it may not all get through the sieve and therefore not all into the oils? But it is the only thing I can think of doing at the moment. Just so frustrating not knowing what or why.

Comment

Im not sure on the purity of th SH now! Without looking at the bag it came in. It is bought from a comercial chemical place, and not a soap making store. But we buy 25kg at a time, and the usual soaping shops dont do that type of quantity. Im pretty sure it said 99% pure though. I am off to try the 'old' milk now. And if that doesnt work i will get a small sodium hydroxide from a soap supplier to try.

Comment

I am concerned about thick lye?

We have bought our NAOH from various places and it has never gone thick?

Jane
                    www.just-soaps.com
                    Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

I dont mean thick thick! Its just creamy with the milk. The sieve i have orderd i think is small mesh and it just may take a while for the lye to go through. I have always noticed milk fats that seperate in the lye too, and, if that is causing the brown bits hopefully the sieve will stop it. I may skim the cream of the top of the milk in future before i freeze it too.

Comment

I'm not a soap maker, I'm a Chemist. When I worked in the laboratory we used to buy Analytical grade products if we didn't want any impurities. What grade sodium hydroxide/NaOH (lye) are you using? Its not general purpose grade is it?

Comment

Just checked on sodium hydroxide. It is 99.9% pure which im pretty sure is the highest it gets. I know potassium hydroxide there is a wider scope for impurities though.

Comment

Does he same happen with fresh milk and frozen milk? How long do you freeze your milk for? The fat it what you are reacting and the structure of this will change after freezing. The higher the fat content the shorter the frozen shelf life. The higher the fat content of the milk the more it will change in nature when its defrosted, sorry if I'm stating the obvious, it was just a thought.

You got the Scientist in me thinking so I did a bit of research. What maximum temperature do you allow the mixture to get to? Do you react the frozen slushy milk with the lye and keep it very cold ie do the mixing in a bowl of ice? The heat caused caremalisation of the sugars which will go from being to ornage, depending on how hot warm you let it get.
                            Last edited by Incognito 1; 10-04-2013, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Im not sure! I have never used fresh liquid milk before only frozen. The milk is frozen for a minimum of 24hrs before we use it. But i have milk that is has been frozen for over a year in the freezer! That still works really well in the soap too. Im just thinking that this time of year the goats get more protein etc in their diet which could affect the milk and therefore change its behaviour in the soap? I have just used the older milk and so far so good. I am now going to make a small batch with water, which I have never done before! If it is ok with the water then im pretty sure its the milk.

Comment

Working...
                              X