Cake and cupcake soaps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cake and cupcake soaps

I've been thinking about getting some cupcake soaps but wondered how long they last. I read on one website that cupcake soaps need to be used within six months, why is this?

When making soaps and toiletries we have to have them safety assessed, our assessor gives us our shelf life, as we do not use preservatives we get 18 months shelf life for our soaps - as I don't know what they are using on the site you looked at I cannot really comment but 6 months does seem a short time, though I have seen them on sites with 3 months?

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

What happens after the shelf life? It should take quite some time for fats and oils to go rancid. I don't use soap as I have very dry skin and various allergies. I am thinking about buying some as pressies but for myself just as decorations rather than using them.

Comment

I'm making some of these tomorrow Chez

Comment

Originally posted by Craftychez View Post
          What happens after the shelf life? It should take quite some time for fats and oils to go rancid. I don't use soap as I have very dry skin and various allergies. I am thinking about buying some as pressies but for myself just as decorations rather than using them.
          We have soap that is 7-8 years old - still fine. If soap is made properly it shouldn't go rancid - as you will most probably know, thanks to the EU we have to have a Best Before Date on everything - even honey which keeps for years and years.

As you have sensitive skin you really should use soap - not bars of chemicals found in Supermarkets and High St Chemists - it was because of our little Granddaughter's very sensitive skin that I first started making soap

Jane
          www.just-soaps.com
          Twitter JUSTSOAPS
          FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
          Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Wicky - please post some photos on here.

Jane - sorry for the confusion, I was classing all bar stuff under the heading of soap. I say soap when I mean solid block, liquid soap for pumpable, shower gel or or I say bubbles if its foaming and meant to be put in the bath.

I stick to a few shower gels, shampoo etc I'm okay with. I don't buy the cheap run of the mill range. I buy the expensive types that are concentrated and go a long way. I find the quality items are much better value for money in the long run, funny how a lot of people never realise the cheap ranges are often false economy. I also have to be careful with my face. I once let the bubbles from a well known baby shampoo run down my face in the shower. My face went red and blotchy where the foam had come into contact with my skin.

Its interesting you say your soaps are okay for sensitive skins, I might have to try some.

As for soaps 'going off', they should only be classed as such if they have gone past their best in some way. Some rules are bonkers. I have had some soaps longer than I can remember. Some are boxed but most are in lidded glass jars in my bathroom. I still have one my husband got me when we got engaged back in 1985. Its all boxed but it still smells and looks okay.

Comment

Working...
            X