Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massage Candle rules and regs

Hi all,

We make scented candles and are hoping to branch into massage candles and maybe hand soaps in the coming months. Where can I find information on the rules around having cosmetic products approved (if that is the correct term). Is it easier if we use essential oils for fragrance than fragrance oils, or does it make no difference.

Thank you in advance
    Cheryl & Duncan

http://www.candle-shack.co.uk

FaceBook

Luxury natural wax candle manufacturer and candle making supplier.

Hi I am trying to find out about how to go about doing massage candles too, but not much use with the legal side of things I'm afraid because I've been struggling with that myself. However, I am a massage therapist, so I can advise on oils. Fragrance oils are a definite no-no, it has to be EO's and they have to be skin safe EO's so you will have to do some research on the oils you intend to use to make sure they are completely safe first. Also the amount of EO you use will be different to the amount you use when making normal candles. When making candles I use up to 5% EO to wax (which would be 5ml in 100ml) this is way too much for applying to the skin. As an Aromatherapist the max I would use on the skin would be 12 drops in 25 ml (48 drops in 100ml), theres about 20 drops in 1ml, so you're probably only going to use about 2% in massage candles. HTH

Comment

Just being nosy here - what IS a massage candle?

I'm assuming it's something used to actually massage someone, as you need to use skin-safe EOs in the correct concentration for skin application - but what about the fire risk? I don't think I'd fancy being massaged with a lit candle ooh errrr missus - painful!

Or are they used unlit? ie really just a lump of perfumed wax? That sounds nice, I love the texture of beeswax ...

Comment

I was baffled too when I first heard about them and thought it sounded like a bad idea / hazard but the candle itself is not actually put on the client. You burn the candle for an hour or 2 before treament, then pour the melted wax into your hand to use as you would massage oil. Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6zBgkHufX4 So you might be wonderiing 'whats the point' because oil can be heated up anyway without use of the wick but its more to do with the ingredients really. They are usually made with soy wax, butters (cocoa etc) and oils, so more like a lotion than an oil but apparently very luxuorious feeling, so I've read anyway, I've not tried it yet. And of course its probably just a bit of a gimmick

Comment

They are really lovely and made with oils which have a low melt point so as long as you make them properly there isn't really any risk. I find that they are a bit different and you get the benefit of a beautiful smell followed by lovely luxurious and moisturing oils. Probably not everybody's cup of tea but great for a romantic interlude. Very cheap to make too

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I think we will be using essential oils in these. The candles will be easy, as we already make thousands of scented candles, but I've never had to deal with cosmetic regulations before, so I think I'll better get on a course or speak to a cosmetic chemist. Don't want to end up in trouble
            Cheryl & Duncan

http://www.candle-shack.co.uk

FaceBook

Luxury natural wax candle manufacturer and candle making supplier.

Comment

well said - not everyone's cup of tea) But the idea is good

Comment

Working...
              X