Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risk Assesment for Craft Fairs

Hi All

I am new to the forum but hope to become a regular user.

I have been making melt & pour soaps for 18 months, first as a hobby but have more recently ventured into the (very) small business side of this. I have my safety assessment & will shortly have liabilty insurance. I have started to book myself stalls for local craft fairs - one of them is asking for a risk assessment, can anyone give advise on the potential hazards?

Thanks in Advance

If the venue is providing the table all I can see is that someone might trip on your table cloth.
    But of course you will have thought of that and be pinning the flappy bits around the table legs. With safety pins......
    Unless you are going to pile your soaps high and they might slide off the table and land on a baby in a buggy......but you are not going to do that are you?
    Do feel free to put not applicable on the form.
    On the other hand be sensible if you decide to, say, plug a table lamp into a socket. Where is the wire trailing? Or outdoors. Customers really do not see guy ropes. The answer to that one is tie brightly coloured flags to them.

Comment

Annie has mentioned the most important, trip hazards, unsecured tablecloth etc. The only one I can add is potential injuries whilst setting up/breaking down your stand, (HSE love this one!) saying something along the lines of "make sure to take sensible precautions when lifting and moving heavy items". There was one show we did that even asked for a fire officers risk assessment to be filled out......that was fun! If you're in doubt about what to write, ask the organiser I'm sure they'll help you.
      www.formerglory.co.uk- www.seatweaving.blogspot.com - Facebook page - Twitter

Comment

I would have thought that a risk assessment is more appropriately the responsibility of the organiser than of the participants/entrants, although I can see them wanting to know about any possible hazards posed by 'you' so they can consider it for their risk assessment and take appropriate steps.

Perhaps the event insurers or the property's insurers have demanded a comprehensive risk assessment because of the wide range of products and independent traders?

Perhaps this is the organiser's first fair or market and they are covering themselves from all possible angles?

Anyway, at least it show the organiser is taking their 'duty of care' seriously, even if it seems a bit OTT. After all, they might have glass-blowers present, or art metalworkers, or something that could be really quite dangerous.

As Annie says, just think of any possible risk elements with your product, stall, display or even your own behaviour, and then state how you intend to deal with it - ie means of minimisation or elimination of risk.

Comment

We've done a few events where risk assessments have been requested and they are usually for events run by Local Authority type organisations or large outside events where gazebos etc are involved. Doesn't have to be too detailed but we got risk assessment pro forma's from the event organisers and also used Mr Google to get a free one. We've kept the one we eventually produced on the computer as a word document and always take a copy with us to every event even if the organisers haven't asked for one, 'just in case'.

Keep the phraseology nice and wide and you can keep it down to a chart on a single sheet.

I'm afraid the world we live in is getting ever more regulated and in a few years time I see these being standard requirements.

David
          www.panachegifts.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Panach...60271863992797

Twitter @PanacheGifts

Comment

The only one I can add is potential injuries whilst setting up/breaking down your stand, (HSE love this one!)
            On a very serious note, on one occassion I had made friends with bored stall holder's children (an occupational hazard for a toy seller) and one little girl was being really helpful and at the end of the day helped me lug my stuff over grass, up a haha and along a long gravel path. She was being really helpful. I was putting stuff in my van and had said "Thank you, you can stop now, I'll load the van." but she carried on helping. She didn't stack as carefully as me and a bit of tabletop slid and landed on her foot. It did hurt her and she cried. Fortunately her family took the attitude of you didn't do as you were told so it serves you right (and I am insured for such eventuaities). But there you go. It could have been worse.

I also had a screen up at one fair. It was jammed in place by my neighbours display. It was a 3 day event so tired and worn out at packing up time we both completely forgot what we had done and when they moved their table my screen came crashing down. Fortunately no one but us were nearby and we stood there looking sheepish but no harm done.

I have a miraculous medal and lucky bead (from the Amazonian jungle) in my purse, by the way........always good to hedge your bets........

Comment

Macho men helpers worry me too. I have my stuff packed in boxes I can lift. I do have a bad back but know I can lift one at a time no worries. I have done this deliberately. Then along comes impatient helpful man. He'll pick up 3 or 4 at a time and I'm thinking "Idiot, idiot, idiot! You'll do your back in." but they just laugh if I say anything.

Comment

Many thanks for all the replies - I think I was trying to look a little to deep into this with all the H&S regs these days. It seems it will be much simpler than I first anticipated. It is being hosted at a council owned venue hence the caution by the organisers.

Comment

These risk assessment forms are pretty much for the brain dead - well really they are for officialdom so they can ticky tick the boxes and pass on liability - it's usually councils and insurance company stuff.
                  I'm always tempted to write on ' I have a brain, I have already covered all the eventualities I can think of, even have a plan of what to do if a martian flying saucer lands on my table..'.since no one actually looks at these things I reckon it would probably pass without comment.
                  yes, I am cynical

Comment

Working...
                  X