Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palm Oil Free CP Soap

Hi

I am experimenting with making C P Soap but without the addition of palm oil. I understand that palm oil helps to harden the soap. Do you think the addition of cocoa butter would be a good substitute to harden the soap instead, but obviously not in the same quantity?

Any thoughts on this would be great.

Before embarking on a formula, you should really use a good soap calc.

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I haven't made my first batch yet, so i'm not speaking from experience but I looked at one of the soap calcs and it tells you all the qualities of the different soaps, so based on the info it gave, I decided to use coconut oil instead of palm. I don't know how well it will work but time will tell. I think its going to be a bit of a trial and error but the soap calcs take a lot of the guess work out of it

Comment

Im currently using a olive oil & Coconut oil formula, and I will be adding shea butter to that soon, I want to stay away from palm

so yes you could use cocoa butter ... Some people use 5% and others up to 20%, I don't think you want anymore than that

Comment

Thanks for the replies - I have a good soap calc and am thinking of using olive pomace, coconut oil and say 10% cocoa butter and 5% castor oil.

Any comments on this?!!

Comment

i have never used palm oil in any of my soaps, and i have always been very pleased with how they have turned out. for my oil mix i usually use up to 50% olive oil, around 25% coconut oil, 10% shea butter, then top up with whatever other oils i feel are right for that particular type of soap (obviously recalculating the lye for whatever i add).
            http://www.facebook.com/SpeckledFawnSoaps

Comment

My favourite palm free recipe is 63% pomace, 30% coconut oil and the remainder is castor oil. It ends up a bit softer than my palm ones but has a lovely and creamy lather and we use it a lot.

Comment

Hi. Thanks for the tips, they are in fact very similar to my soaps. I want a fairly hard soap with a good lather but which will not melt too quickly once they are wet.

I've had a look at your facebook page and your soaps look fab. Good luck with your new website.

Lizzie.

Comment

Hard and with good lather... I thick coconut oil should do the trick. I hear that some people add a little castor oil to "stabilise" lather although I've yet to try this myself. Here's a good recipe using just coconut, olive and sunflower oils:

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/how-t...w-to-make-soap

From a fellow soaper trying to avoid palm oil :-)
                  http://thestitchandfold.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by thestitchandfold View Post
                    Hard and with good lather... I thick coconut oil should do the trick. I hear that some people add a little castor oil to "stabilise" lather although I've yet to try this myself. Here's a good recipe using just coconut, olive and sunflower oils:

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/how-t...w-to-make-soap

From a fellow soaper trying to avoid palm oil :-)
                    If you look a couple of posts up you'll see that I use the castor oil option and it does indeed work very well. Personally I find it much better than without.

Comment

Working...
                    X