PIF help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIF help?

Hi, I have my first craft stall selling my soaps in just under a week. I have completed most of my PIFs for my products but I want to make doubly sure I have everything in there that I need so I'll have it with me on the day just incase it's needed.

What is all the information you are REQUIRED to have in there?

I had a sample PIF sent to me by my assessor and it's incredibly complicated. It basically covers everything, quite a bit of which I know isn't relevant to me. But of course I don't want to take anything out that should stay in there. My main issues are that there's an empty table for this information:

INCI Name
    Description
    INN Name
    Ph. Eur. Name
    CAS #
    EINECS/ELINCS #

My main issues are INN name, Ph. Eur. Name and EINECS/ELINCS #. I don't think a lot of ingredients I use have these? And how/where do I find out if they do? Is a description really necessary in the PIF if I have the MSDS attached later on in the file?

Is this information essential?

Also another question I have is: do I HAVE to have my soap pieces weighed? I have heard that if you sell it by the piece you don't necessarily have to, can anyone give me any clarification on this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    http://www.facebook.com/SpeckledFawnSoaps

I must say I'm a bit confused too but I will do my best to help. Firstly, some of the chemical identifiers you have there (like the CAS and the EINECS) are things that go on the MSDS and you say you have them so you don't need to worry about that.

It's probably easier to describe an example so here goes:

Lets say I make a lavender cold process soap - using Olive Oil; Stearic Acid and Shea Butter with 1% Lavender Oil and some Lavender Buds. That's my ingredients list and it goes in my Product Information File. Its useful to have a written recipe too - just a simple step by step on how you make your soap with curing times and anything else that is relevant.

Very basically a Product information file is a way to organise all the information about each product so that, if Trading Standards asked to see that infromation it would be readily available.

It should include:

MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for the ingredients of the product
    Safety Assessments for the Product
    I usually include a picture of the product (just because it seemed a good idea at the time)
    You may also want to include a copy of the labels or any other relevant packaging information

The other information that is important is the batch numbers for the supplies - so, for your lavender soap you would list Olive Oil - bought from MR Soap with the batch number and (possibly) the best before date) The PIF Must include a copy of your batch numbers; ingredients and their batch numbers and suppliers. I do this on spread sheets so very roughly the columns would look something like this:

DATE - PRODUCT TYPE - PRODUCT DESCRIPTION - BATCH NUMBER - BEST BEFORE DATE - INGREDIENTS - SUPPLIER OF INGREDIENT - BATCH NUMBER OF INGREDIENT

example Lavender soap - Cold Processed Lavender Soap - LS032013 - BBE 03/2014 - Olive Oil - Mr Soap - MS89567 - BBE 04/2016

It's pretty easy to do this on your computer - In my business folder I have a folder called PIF and inside that folder each of products has a folder and inside that is the MSDS; The safety Assessments; the spreadsheet; a picture and an image of the label. This file must be kept up to date and produced within 14 days if any relevant authority asks to see it - so you really don't need to print it off and take it to fairs with you.

Hope this helps

Jude
    for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
    plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
    Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Bath-Bomb.com thanks you so much, I have been struggling with my PIF, I just didn't understand it, and your explanation makes it a lot clearer to me. I have made a lot of products but haven’t listed it on my site because I haven't completed my PIF. Thank you and thanks Bee for asking the question.
      Ivalee
      http://www.beadaliciousbeads.co.uk
      http://www.facebook.com/Beadaliciousbeads
      http://beadaliciousbeads.blogspot.com/

Comment

You're welcome

Anything else you need just post or pm me
        for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
        plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
        Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Thanks that it really well explained. Seems much easier to understand now! The bit about listing batch info is useful too as I wasn't sure exactly what to include.

Anyone have any idea about my little question at the end regarding weighing soaps?

Comment

Hi Bee,

I believe you do need to have weights on if the soap is wrapped.
            If it isn't wrapped or packaged then I don't thinks so.
            Sharon

Comment

i am planning on having a piece of strong tied around my soap with the label attached. does this count as packaging? it's not exactly wrapped...

Comment

Originally posted by Bath-Bomb.Com View Post
                I must say I'm a bit confused too but I will do my best to help. Firstly, some of the chemical identifiers you have there (like the CAS and the EINECS) are things that go on the MSDS and you say you have them so you don't need to worry about that.

It's probably easier to describe an example so here goes:

Lets say I make a lavender cold process soap - using Olive Oil; Stearic Acid and Shea Butter with 1% Lavender Oil and some Lavender Buds. That's my ingredients list and it goes in my Product Information File. Its useful to have a written recipe too - just a simple step by step on how you make your soap with curing times and anything else that is relevant.

Very basically a Product information file is a way to organise all the information about each product so that, if Trading Standards asked to see that infromation it would be readily available.

It should include:

MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for the ingredients of the product
                Safety Assessments for the Product
                I usually include a picture of the product (just because it seemed a good idea at the time)
                You may also want to include a copy of the labels or any other relevant packaging information

The other information that is important is the batch numbers for the supplies - so, for your lavender soap you would list Olive Oil - bought from MR Soap with the batch number and (possibly) the best before date) The PIF Must include a copy of your batch numbers; ingredients and their batch numbers and suppliers. I do this on spread sheets so very roughly the columns would look something like this:

DATE - PRODUCT TYPE - PRODUCT DESCRIPTION - BATCH NUMBER - BEST BEFORE DATE - INGREDIENTS - SUPPLIER OF INGREDIENT - BATCH NUMBER OF INGREDIENT

example Lavender soap - Cold Processed Lavender Soap - LS032013 - BBE 03/2014 - Olive Oil - Mr Soap - MS89567 - BBE 04/2016

It's pretty easy to do this on your computer - In my business folder I have a folder called PIF and inside that folder each of products has a folder and inside that is the MSDS; The safety Assessments; the spreadsheet; a picture and an image of the label. This file must be kept up to date and produced within 14 days if any relevant authority asks to see it - so you really don't need to print it off and take it to fairs with you.

Hope this helps

Jude
                Thank you very much for your explaination, Jude. That has helped me a lot.

There's one thing I'm still not sure about. Where do you get the MSDS? Do I contact the suppliers of each ingredient in my product and ask for MSDS?

Comment

Originally posted by AngelineT View Post

There's one thing I'm still not sure about. Where do you get the MSDS? Do I contact the suppliers of each ingredient in my product and ask for MSDS?
                  Reputable suppliers should be able to provide an MSDS for any of their products. Most of the ones I use have them as downloads on their websites under something like product information.

Best of luck
                  June

www.ironbridgesoap.co.uk
                  https://twitter.com/IronbridgeSoap

Comment

Thank you for replying, June. I use Naissance for a lot of my ingredients. So, I emailed them and they immediately sent me the MSDS. Very pleased with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X