Rules and regs!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules and regs!

Hi. Does anyone know if you are direct selling at a market, if you have to label your soaps? I have just come back from a market where there was a new trader. She had opaque but coloured soaps but told me and another soap stall holder (she didnt realise we were soap makers/sellers!) that it is her own recipe with only olive oil. I asked her about the soap base and she said she makes it from scratch with no pre made base. The soap stall holder is a m&p and I am cp so between us we know a bit about the different types of soap! This other lady said that they were all essential oils (Lilac, ocean, grass meadow which appaerently are new essential oils????!!!!!) The main problem was she had no labels/ingredients/batch no's etc on any of her soaps or bottles, and was fooling the unsuspecting public with her "unique olive oil mediterranean soap recipe". The chutney seller at the market said that if he is direct selling he doesnt have to label, but is that the case with soaps and cosmetics too? I thought we had to have ingredients etc at all times? Also she had no information about her company- address telephone email etc. I am going to speak to my trading standards officer tomorrow too. But doesnt it annoy you when you and other sellers go out of your way to comply and be legal and then someone comes along and doesnt, and appears to get away with it!! Thing is i guess she knew trading standards werent going to come in to a local craft fair on a sunday!! Maybe they should more often! At least to educate people.

Hi Ma,
    I believe you do need some form of label whether it be on a label or a sign next to the soaps detailing the ingredients.
    If the soap is wrapped then it needs a label and weight on it also, as well as batch and makers details and with weights you may be required to use a "ready for trade" scales. I would also point out about cosmetic assessment approval.
    Good luck with trading standards.
    Let us know how you get on.

Comment

As far as I am aware they need to be clearly labelled with ingredients and contact details at all times, although I am new to this so no expert. It is frustrating though, to have jumped through all the hoops yourself (not to mention the expense) and then to have someone next door selling the exact same thing without having met those requirements, whether due to ignorance or deliberate evasion. Although judging by her ridiculous comments about essential oils, I'm assuming it was ignorance. Hopefully, your questions will get her thinking and prompt her to do her research on the matter.

Comment

Loving "ocean" essential oil. Presumably she milks seaweed ...

Comment

I imagine, with grass meadow essential oil, that it takes a lot of work to pick out all the things that aren't grass, before the oil is extracted - I do hope she could tell you exactly which grasses were growing in her meadow ...

Comment

I've had this problem too with a fair I went to last year. There were two other people selling M&P soaps and neither of them had assessments. I was the only one who did. I was a bit upset, especially at their attitude towards me and their blind belief that they did not need an assessment.

I'm going to the same fair in a couple of weeks time and I've got a sneaking suspicion that at least one of these people will be there again which will be very annoying.

Comment

Diane, you might want to download one of the leaflets referenced on this page, and send it to the fair organiser (anonymously if necessary).

As you can see at the bottom of the page, as long as you have your assessments in place, you can download the leaflet and use it freely.

Comment

Hi, I'm new to all of this, I wanted to start a small business, I have looked into the new regs and got very confused. I googled about the safety assessments and a new site came up.
                Super active cosmetics, has anyone used them, they quoted from £100?

Comment

Originally posted by Diane Allen View Post
                  I've had this problem too with a fair I went to last year. There were two other people selling M&P soaps and neither of them had assessments. I was the only one who did. I was a bit upset, especially at their attitude towards me and their blind belief that they did not need an assessment.

I'm going to the same fair in a couple of weeks time and I've got a sneaking suspicion that at least one of these people will be there again which will be very annoying.
                  It is very annoying! especially when we have all paid our money, and taken weeks/months etc researching the legal bits etc. And then to have someone come along and what got me she was deliberatly mis leading the public! Even to me and my friend, who know a thing or two about soap! She was so sure she had made this soap with nothing other than oilve oil and secret ingredients from her grandmother.! (it was def a m&p base she had used) She was very keen to tell people no this and no that in it, but when I said to her that I didnt care what WASNT in the soap, I wanted to know what WAS in the soap she said she wasnt goint to tell me!
                  I did report her to TS. well, I told them who the market manager was, and so they could contact her to follow it up. Im not sure they will though.
                  The GCSTM now have a download which you can give to market managers etc to make them aware of the law. The market managers always check the food producers have relevant EHO certificates etc etc, and so I think if they knew soap etc has laws attached too they may do a bit of checking before accepting people into markets/fairs

Comment

Working...
                  X