Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bath bombs cracking - Help

I hope you lovely crafters can help.
    I've been experimenting with EO and some have cracked badly.
    I've attached a photo.
    The green one is the worst. I used 2:1 Bicarb/citric, cornflour, witch hazel, eucalyptus and peppermint
    The yellow one next. As above with cornflour and witch hazel, ylang ylang and calendula flowers.
    The white/lavender one is 2:1 bicarb/citric without cornflour, used witch hazel with lavender oil/flowers
    The purple one. 2:1, no cornflour, grapeseed oil binder so no cracks.
    Is it because they are drying out too fast or mix too dry?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. They all sat in the kitchen overnight.
    Attached Files

If it helps any

I have the same problems too and its so annoying.
    I've been told it's something to do with how much you pack the molds with and the moisture content. i.e. the balance of witch hazel you use.

Still trying myself to get it just perfect and not cracking after 24 hrs

Hope that is of some help!!

Comment

Thank you SuzySoaping, I appreciate your feedback. Have been told to try and reduce witch hazel so will give it a try. :-)

Comment

I'll try and help as best I can...although it's difficult to really nail it down to any one thing, without watching someone make, in front of you

Firstly - Witch Hazel...I don't use it in my bombs and never have and have no idea why people purport to it's wonderous properties. It always seems to me that it's just a way for suppliers to get more money out of you. Good old tap water does me fine and has worked for 7 years That being said I really don't know how witch-hazel might affect you bath bombs.

The cracking on the smooth sides looks, to me, like too much water and not enough packing into the mould. The crack on the seams happens when you store the bombs (to dry) on the seam side - it's the weakest part of the bomb and is the most likely place for the bomb to crack and split.

Pack the mould really really full and then press the two halves together as hard as you can....

When citric becomes to wet it will start to fizz and it produces carbon dioxide...which will try and find a way to escape - so the bomb begins to 'explode'...hence the cracks. If you hear the citric fizzing when you spritz with water (you are spritzing aren't you?) then you need to stir really fast so that the sodium can absorb the moisture. If you're mixing large amounts of mix (a kilo or more) use an electric mix in one hand and your spritz bottle with the other...stopping every now and again to squeeze the mixture to see if it's becoming sticky (without becoming wet)...

Cornflour is another filler ingredient that isn't entirely necessary - it's cheaper than sodium and citric (wholesale), which is why people put it in....often

Some of this might help...but I think the best advice I can give is keep at it - one day you will have a bit of a EUREKA moment and you'll suddenly know how to make the perfect bath bomb

Happy to answer any other questions if you have them....

Jude
        for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
        plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
        Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Thank you Jude for your reply.
          The reason I use witch hazel is it's on my cosmetic assessment so I assume I can't use water. And yes I will keep at it and practice.
          Many thanks Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by Busy Bee Beauty View Post
            Thank you Jude for your reply.
            The reason I use witch hazel is it's on my cosmetic assessment so I assume I can't use water. And yes I will keep at it and practice.
            Many thanks Sharon
            I would ask your assessor but, since the water evaporates it probably doesn't make any difference

Good luck with your practicing ....
            for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
            plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
            Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Working...
            X