Why dilute liquid soap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why dilute liquid soap?

Been doing a bit of research on the art of making liquid soap.
    I see its kind of like the hot process method for making solid soap bars.
    So basically you cook it, etc.. till it becomes like vaseline. But why dilute it? Can't it just be used after its been cooked and the pH is ok?
    Also why neutralize? Is that in case it is zappy? I understand it is not advisable to superfat liquid soap due to the cause of possible separation.

Just a little confused on the dilution and neutralizing!!

You don't need to dilute it but it is rather on the thick side if you don't. I use the undiluted stuff mixed with some pummice and various EOs for a hand cleanser. I don't dilute as much as some of the recipes (usually on about 1:2) but it does bring the price of your product down considerably as water is a lot cheaper than the soap . Re your comment about neutralising, I don't really understand this. By the time the hot process has been completed it will be neutral already, well it will if you've done it properly.

Comment

Suzy, the dilution is to make it liquid. You do not have to, but it will be like a very, very thick paste. The neutralization is not necessary, if you are not trying to make transparent soap. In that case, you can superfat and after dilution, you will have non-transparent liquid soap.
      Majority of tutorials show how to make transparent liquid soap. In that case you are not superfatting, actually you calculate your recipe to be 1-3% lye heavy, just to be sure you saponify really everything (unsaponified part of oils does impair transparency). Therefore after you have to neutralize...
      Long live your bar of soap!
      Evik
      My blog: http://curious-soapmaker.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X