Clear All

• Cold process tracing quick :(

Back again for a little moan

So last year i did 2 soaps using
    16 oz shea
    16oz coconut oil
    12.16 oz water
    4.974 oz SH

this recipe was used twice and not superfatted. this was the first ever recipe i used and was non zappy at all.Problem free, traced ok and gel phased ok as well.

Now the problem i am having is that i did a superfatted soap by 5% here is the recipe i used
    19.4 oz shea
    19.4 oz coconut
    14.744oz water
    5.729oz SH

This traced within seconds (im aware some FO's can accelerate trace but i didnt add anything) it pretty much went like thick jelly.
    I managed to pour it into my silicone loaf mould though. but 24 hrs after when i cut it, it was zappy as hell.
    So what i did was grate it all up and melt it and added 8oz shea butter, let it set up and it seems to be ok now, not zappy. But i'm still not 100% happy it will be skin friendly.

The next soap i did was as the first recipe (see above) this traced within seconds. Again not using any FO or colour. However it turned out slightly better (non zappy) however was like cottage cheese (i know cottage cheese stage is something to do with Hot Process but this was supposed to be CP soap). It seemed to go into gel phase okay and isn't zappy (i even cut a little to see how it would lather in my hands and all seems well).

And the one i did last night i added some FO and colour which again traced within seconds. But i put it in my mould on the off chance.

What a disaster

Horribly, crumbly, greasy mess. Don't even want to consider trying to rebatch it at all.

Sorry for the long post. And hope someone can lend a hand. Thank you all very much in advance and a HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL

Hi SuzySoaping,

well, this seems like a mystery to me.

I cannot see a reason why a trace would accelerate upon superfatting. Are you sure all other conditions are the same? Temperature of lye and oils, blending (using blender or not), the same oils (mark) ?
    Long live your bar of soap!
    Evik
    My blog: http://curious-soapmaker.com

Comment

[QUOTE=SuzySoaping;557528]

Now the problem i am having is that i did a superfatted soap by 5% here is the recipe i used
      19.4 oz shea
      19.4 oz coconut
      14.744oz water
      5.729oz SH

This traced within seconds (im aware some FO's can accelerate trace but i didnt add anything) it pretty much went like thick jelly.
      I managed to pour it into my silicone loaf mould though. but 24 hrs after when i cut it, it was zappy as hell.

I don't think you waited long enough - 24 hours is not long at all - it needs to cure a minimum of 4 weeks, preferably 6 weeks, for all NaOH to "react" and be gone.

So what i did was grate it all up and melt it and added 8oz shea butter, let it set up and it seems to be ok now, not zappy. But i'm still not 100% happy it will be skin friendly.[QUOTE]

That's a lot of shea butter...I'm sure any last remains of lye will interact with it and after a reasonable cure time will be totally gone. I.e., not zappy. Did it smell like lye as you grated it?

Hmmmm. Is there any chance some of your NaOH has been exposed to the air long enough to absorb moisture before being weighed out? That would make some batches have less NaOH in them...so less "zappy," and slower to trace...hmmmm...

Are you remembering to tare your scale after putting the container on it, when measuring both oils and NaOH?

And you're not getting your oils too warm?

Hmmmm, just thinking out loud - hope some of these ideas help you figure out what's going on. Good luck!!
      Last edited by removed10; 03-01-2013, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X