Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back after two year ish break

Hi all,
    about two years ago I started making bath products in the hope to sell them. After a relationship break down and the stresses that come with it I had to give it a rest. I am now settled after a house move and all the horrible side of a breakup and feel I want to get stuck back in. I have some ingredients from last time I gave it ago and not sure if they will be ok. I'm guessing the butters and oils will be no good? Do salts and bicarbonate and other powders go off? I am a beauty therapist and would love to eventually have bespoke treatments using my own products obviously after all the testing, insurance and all the legal side is sorted. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Hi there.

I don't know enough to comment on whether your ingredients will still be ok but just wanted to say I'm glad you've come out the other end of a horrible time and feel ready to start making bath products again. I hope it all goes really well for you.

Best wishes,

Marion

Comment

Welcome back to the forum and crafting. I can't help with the questions, sorry, but I hope you enjoy it here!
      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Welcome back in the world of making your own bath products! I have been through a bad break up myself when I restarted the soapmaking and cosmetics making two years ago. There is something magic about making the products that are lovely and useful - I think we transfer this feeling into ourselves and suddenly feel lovely and useful, too

For your questions - I think the powders should be all right. There is no water for them to grow bacteria or mold, neither oils to get rancid. The only thing that can go wrong is the humidity - they might have over time absorbed some water from the air and become hard and non-powdery - but this is I think still not enough water for any bacteria or molds. For example, baking soda might then cause problems in bath bombs, making them more difficult to make, but don't have to.

Try and see!

Good luck!
        Long live your bar of soap!
        Evik
        My blog: http://curious-soapmaker.com

Comment

There's a great table of shelf life for various soap oils here -

http://www.northcountrymercantile.co...p-making-oils/

If all your oils have been opened, and are over two years old, I would throw them out.

If any of the oils are still sealed, and have never been through hot weather, or exposed to very much light, you might use them to "practice" with, to get back in to soap making. BUT, I would advise against selling them or giving them as gifts. It's up to you if you use them for yourself. If you find them unappealing to use for yourself, I don't think you should use them for others.

I agree with Evik - if the salts and bicarb are completely dry, they might be fine. BUT, if they are not still sealed (I mean the security seal by the supplier), they can absorb the least little bit of moisture and that tiny bit can affect the chemical interaction of the lye, and thus the outcome of the soap. But really, all that means is that your soap may have to sit in the molds and/or dry out longer.

For bath bombs and bath salts...I'd say no, get new salts and bicarb. Are they expensive salts? Himalayan, Dead Sea, etc.? You can make gorgeous salt potpourri out of them...dry them completely in a gently warm over and seal. When ready to make, add the tiniest amount of hopefully natural colorants, and a little bit of EO. Toss and put in a pretty dish, and then gently add in a few dried botanicals to make it artistic looking...a few dried bay leaves, a few rosemary sprigs, even a pretty pebble or two. Basically you want the moist salts to show, and to be on the bottom. So don't add too many pretty botanicals, or pebbles. Since this is not going to be applied to any human skin, you can add a good bit of fragrance.

OR, you can simply use the salts and bicarb in your own bath if they are stll "clean" - so they aren't wasted. Only if they look safe to use.

What it boils down to is, you can make the decision to use them for yourself, but for others, you need to offer/give/sell only the purest and best and freshest.

Glad you're back!

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I would probably use the stock I have to just practise with and use on myself so its great to know that I may still be able to use some of it. I can't wait to get started next week again. I have missed it. X

Comment

Working...
            X