No announcement yet.

Vit E, Starflower & Evening Primrose oil to use in cleansers and moisturisers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vit E, Starflower & Evening Primrose oil to use in cleansers and moisturisers

Hi there,

I am new here, and I am just getting into making my own beauy products. I made some lip balm the other day and it was fantastic - as good as any I have ever bought, which has totally inspired me!

I have started using olive oil as a cleanser, but I wondered about using a mixture of jojoba, vitamin e and either star flower or evening primrose oils instead now that I am getting more confident. Firstly can I just use the capsules that are designed to swallow or is it better to buy a bottle? and if so where do I get them from? and secondly, is it ok to just add a little vit e or starflower oil to lip balm etc willy nilly or should I stick to recipes?

Any advice would be gratefully received,

Thanks x

Originally posted by alexiss View Post
    Hi there,

I am new here, and I am just getting into making my own beauy products. I made some lip balm the other day and it was fantastic - as good as any I have ever bought, which has totally inspired me!

I have started using olive oil as a cleanser, but I wondered about using a mixture of jojoba, vitamin e and either star flower or evening primrose oils instead now that I am getting more confident. Firstly can I just use the capsules that are designed to swallow or is it better to buy a bottle? and if so where do I get them from? and secondly, is it ok to just add a little vit e or starflower oil to lip balm etc willy nilly or should I stick to recipes?

Any advice would be gratefully received,

Thanks x
    Hi Alexis,

if your making it for yourself yes you can use the capsules,
    newdirectionsuk sell evening primrose oil in bottles, starflower in a bottle is a little hard to come by,
    you might want to use olive squarelene for your face you can get that from gracefruit.com

yes you can add just a drop or two to lip balms, you will find formulating and finding out what is best fun to do. you do not need to stick to a firm recipe but then wouldn't go overboard on adding them either.

hope that helps

Comment

Wow! That was a quick response, thanks Mai. If I can use the capsules, then that is much easier - I can get them from a chemist. Although I am making them for myself, I had planned on giving them as Chritsmas pressies to friends and family. But only if they work out - so far people will be getting lip balm! I am hoping to give soap too, but if that doesn't turn out I will be doing a lot of last minute shopping!

Comment

what sort of soap are you going to make, if making cp then it will need 4-6 weeks to cure,

your best bet is to do melt and pour from a base, you just need to melt it in a microwave on low or a double boiler add colour and fragrance pour into moulds.

alternatively you can do last min shopping at my site lol.

Comment

I have just made four batches - three seem promising - the cocout cream, honey and oatmeal and vanilla delight. But the coffee kitchen soap smells like fox poo!!! Yuk - I don't know what happened there!

Do you know where I can get ph paper from to reassure myself that I am not going to hurt anyone?

Comment

if your making cp testing paper is not good enough it gives a false reading you need a ph meter, or simply taste it with your tongue if it zaps like a battery it's lye heavy if no zap it's good to go.

kitchen soap if you used coffee grounds it does stink but will change as it cures.

ph meters can be found on ebay.

Comment

Ok, thank you.

Comment

Hi, I tried the tongue test - but I although the taste seemed sharp on my tongue, it didn't fizz or really zing as such - although, one type seemed to be a bit sharper than the others and is crumbly anyway so I was intending to re-batch it. Can I just add some more oils - up to 5% - because I didn't put anything to superfat last time? Would this react with excess caustic soda and solve the problem, or should I chuck it away?

Comment

hello, regarding your question on vit e - if you can use the acetate version for skin benefits but it won't act as an antioxidant (i.e., prevent your product from going rancid). If you use the regular version, you can use it as an antioxidant (in very small amounts) but it won't benefit your skin much.

Comment

Working...
                  X