Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot of milk

milk.JPG

Isn't it pretty milk! This is a little over a gallon, fresh from Caramella. This was a little while ago when I was pasteurizing it. The cold process most likely heats up enough to kill any bacteria but I like to be absolutely certain!

Her milk is extremely high in fat - very rich and creamy. This contributes to the superfatting.

Just thought some of you might find this interesting!

Looks beautifully white a creamy Susan. It will make your soap very luxurious.

A gallon seems quite a large amount for one small animal - is that a usual sort of volume?

Linda

Comment

It does look lovely - especially as I've been on a low fat diet for the last couple of months!
      Daesul

http://www.clairemanwani.com
      http://www.folksy.com/shops/clairemanwani
      http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ClaireManwaniPottery

Comment

Her two kids, Posie and Blossom, are not drinking much of her milk suddenly...I think it's because of their horns...Caramella is running from them. They're way too old for that now. So she is getting a bit engorged. But actually, no, a gallon a day is not uncommon - 2 qts in the morning and 2 in the evening. But I've had goats give a gallon at a time before.

Goats are extremely efficient at making milk!! You have to be careful not to over feed them, or to milk out too much. The more you milk out, the more they make. So you try to only milk out about a quart per side, or less, at a time. I say a quart, but it's a quart jar, though not really a quart of milk. As you milk, it forms a head of suds just like ale!! It's thick creamy froth and takes up about the top three inches of the jar. Yes, I use a jar - pails don't work for me...the goat invariably knocks it over. I just hold the jar up under there and milk straight into it. Then when I am finished with both sides, I take the jars in and pour them through double butter muslin in a colander into the pot, and then pasteurize.

But if a doe is weaning kids, it can get tricky and you have to be really careful they don't develop mastitis. So you cut back on their alfalfa and oats a good bit, and just give them coastal or "hay grazer," which is more straw-like. I can't find any right now due to the drought. My fave feed store is shipping in "coastal" which they'll eat if they have to...so picky.

BUT, if you cut back too much on their oats and alfalfa when they're in milk, they develop a calcium deficiency, so as I said - TRICKY!

Caramella is a good milk producer, and little Blossom, who is...7 months?? has a precocious udder - she has never been exposed to a buck, and has obviously never been preggers, but she has come into milk!! I had to separate her for a while and just give her coastal. It went down, thank heavens. So once she is a mom, she should be a super milker.

Anyway, after the milk cools from being pasteurized, I pour it into small plastic storage bowls and freeze it, and then get out what I need for soap making.

Her milk is really tasty. Makes great chevre!

Comment

Working...
        X