Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balm too hard

Hi everyone,
    I'm hoping someone has some good tips for me!
    I made some body balm (it's for aftercare for henna designs). I used 100gr bees wax pellets, 100gr shea butter and 100ml fractionated coconut oil. I poured the mixture in little tins only to find out that the balm is quite hard. Is there a way to fix this without having to empty all the little tins? If not, what is the best way to get it out without ruining them? I have never done this before but I know now no to pour it into the tins before testing it first!

Thanks in advance for your help!
    ~ Mish
    Henna Vibes

What is the melting point of the coconut oil? Is it 76؛ or 90؛?

I would use less beeswax...and maybe add some sweet almond oil. But beyond these thoughts, I just don't know.

About getting it out of the tins - put them upside down in a cake pan and put in the oven on low?? It'll all melt out into the pan and then you could add some sweet almond oil and maybe some ... hmmm.... a little jojoba??? I just don't know.

Cleaning up the emptied tins might prove a bear, but just be patient and they'll all eventually be fine, and labels WILL stick again....

Comment

I notice that along with the beeswax, the other oils are hard - you really need a mixture of liquid and hard oils, as suggested try jojoba or SW oil and cut the beeswax to around 50%.

Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

For such small amounts of Shea and Coconut Oil, you should only need 20g (or less) of Beeswax...but you could add more liquid oils...depending on what's to hand, if you have more coconut Oil just add more of that...If you have more mix than tins, your balm will keep in the fridge for quite a while, as it doesn't have any water in it

Just a note about using Beeswax and Almond Oil (as I am not sure if you are making these to give away, sell or just for you)...Vegan won't like it if you use Beeswax and many people with Nut Allergies will react to Sweet Almond Oil....

HTH

Jude
        for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
        plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
        Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Originally posted by Bath-Bomb.Com View Post
          many people with Nut Allergies will react to Sweet Almond Oil....Jude
          Hopefully people with nut allergies will read the ingredients label!

Comment

Originally posted by Bath-Bomb.Com View Post
            many people with Nut Allergies will react to Sweet Almond Oil....
            Just out of interest would the same apply to Coconut oil?
            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

What an excellent question! It is, after all, a nut. A tree nut.

Okay, I looked at two sites - coconut is not considered to be in the tree nut allergy category HOWEVER, the nuts from the Shea tree, from which shea butter is made, ARE in the tree nut allergy category! Yoiks!
              Last edited by removed10; 03-08-2011, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
                Hopefully people with nut allergies will read the ingredients label!
                Indeed...hence the need for appropriate labelling ...but it would also be a commercial consideration!

Just out of interest would the same apply to Coconut oil?
                Not usually NattyNetty...Tree nut allergies are much more rare...

I will often get asked if I can substitute Sweet Almond Oil for something else and it's usually Coconut...not a particularly good substitute because of it's viscosity ...it's an absolute minefield though and as soon as I get a customer on the phone who mentions "ALLERGIES"...I start to get a migraine...

Sorry to the OP for the drift Off Topic!!!!
                for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
                plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
                Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Hi Mish - I see you are reading the thread - so what it boils down to in my opinion, is a little less beeswax, and some other oil like sweet almond and maybe some jojoba.

(Sweet almond, from the peach family) is widely used, as is shea butter (a true tree nut), in soaps and other toiletries very successfully, even commercially...

Comment

No worries, I'm happy with the advice!

The idea of putting them upside down is good. I might improve on that and put them on a grill, so the balm can drip through but the tins stay clean.

I've ordered some more shea butter (100gr) and some sweet almond oil (100ml). Should I mix it both in? Or just the SA?

The balms are to be given away and regarding the ingredients, I'm putting the tins in a little organza bag with my business card and a note with instructions and ingredients.
                    Henna Vibes

Comment

Shea butter is certainly nice to the skin...as is the sweet almond oil. If I were you, I would google "recipes for body balm" and read up on what you see. You can even google sites that sell them and read the ingredients...you'll begin to get an idea of what you should be putting in. Also, you might try the public library for a book on making toiletries of this sort, if you have time.

Okay wait...when you say grill - well, over here, that's a blackened grate thing you have for grilling meat over coals and wood, outdoors....so I bet you mean something like a baking rack...in a cake pan or pie plate, right? =D Because you're trying to save the too hard balm you made and poured....You know, I would experiment with what you retrieve. Add small amts of these new oils to small amts of what you already mixed (keep track of the exact amts of each!) and pour in a couple of tins and see what happens!

I will PM you later tonight (tomorrow morning, for you) with a couple of recipes you might like to try sometime.

Comment

I just sent you some recipes...just for learning from.

Comment

Thanks very much, that's very kind of you.

And yeah that is what I mean haha, lost in translation. (I'm originally Dutch, to make it even easier.)

I never thought of making all these things myself, a whole new world has opened up. I might try some different balms and butters, just for personal use. So much fun!

I'll post again and let you know how I got on rescuing my balm
                          Henna Vibes

Comment

Yay, it all worked out well! I was able to take the balm out quite easily. Because it was so hard, it came out the pots mostly in one piece. So no messing around with grills/racks
                            I added olive oil instead of almond, because of what you guys said about the nut allergies. I kept leaving it to set to see the consistency and added more oil where needed. I'm quite pleased with it now and have been using it as lip balm and aftercare balm for my henna and it works a treat!
                            Thanks for all the tips everyone!
                            Henna Vibes

Comment

Congratulations! I'm so glad it worked out, especially retrieving the initial balm from the tins...great that it turned out so easy to accomplish!!

Comment

Working...
                              X