Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosmetic Safety Assessment help needed

Hi,

We are about to take the plunge and buy ourselves a Cosmetic Safety Assessment but I have a few questions if anyone on here would be good enough to help we would be most grateful.

Firstly we already sell M&P soap that we buy from a local supplier, but we want to expand the range hence needing an assessment. We do want to venture in to CP, bath bombs and salts etc at a later date.

We have looked at purchasing the Business start up package for £289 from the Cosmetic Safety Assessment site as it seems to cover most things but can anyone tell me what restrictions it has, whether it really is as good a value for money as it seems. We have also looked at the Soap School who charge £150 per assessment making the equivalent cost £450. It just seems a big difference in price, should I be concerned about that and should warning bells be ringing

Thank you for all your help

Melanie x
    Last edited by ScentsAndSentiments.co.uk; 25-07-2011, 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Hello, your SA will detail all your restrictions. basically it wil tell you what Essential oils you can use ant at what percent, etc. If you are going to sell you need an SA so you you need to find out what your SA wil include before you buy it
    Website
    Facebook

Blog

Comment

I can recommend cosmetic safety assement as they seem to be pretty comprehensive. I have the m&P assesment it is the most itcomprehsive on the market & competativly priced.

not found anything it doesnt cover yet and it also covers bath melts & solid shampoos.
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wallw...27692183938506
      www.boltoncraftfair.blogspot.com
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bolto...21000424653029
      www.wallworksoaps.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for your replies, Cosmetic Safety Assessment is so cheap by comparison to the other websites I have seen I was starting to wonder if there was something I should be worried about. It's reassuring to know others have used them without any problems

Melanie x

Comment

I think that the price difference can be explained, in part, by the fact that Scott (who operates the Cosmetics Safety Assessment site) does the certification there, whereas many other places where you purchase these kinds of Assessments are agents, who are commissioning the chemists (or working for them to sell the Certification)...so the agent will basically purchasing the certificate on your behalf and taking there commission - hence the higher price. I also think that, a few years ago these Certificates were very expensive, traditionally...so I think sellers got into the frame of mind of charging large amounts (for very little work!). Scott opened up the market, somewhat, by offering his generic certificates at a vastly reduced price...some of the more expensive companies have yet to catch on to that price reduction. But I would recommend Scott's Assessments and I think, in general you will find them pretty comprehensive with only Essential Oils being restricted - this is because of the many inherent dangers in the hands of amateurs, that they present - although I think his certificates do list 5 or 6 of the most common ones.

Hope this Helps
          for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
          plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
          Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

This may seem like a bit of a silly question but when you purchase the m&p assessment from Cosmetic Safety does it cover an infinate number of soaps? i.e - how many soaps does it cover and once you have paid for it can you keen on getting different recipies tested?
            I am not sure if I am missing something here and I was not sure if I needed all my recipies/quantaties of oils/botanicals when I purchase it or whether I can keep going back with different recipies. By this I mean new variations I come up with not new variations of one soap recipie.
            http://www.cottagesoapcompany.co.uk

Comment

Not a silly question at all EmmaJayne...it is all very confusing at first.

Basically the Safety Assessment will give a list of ingredients:

Ie...in the case of Cosmetics Safety Assessment M&P Soap Package:

Base Ingredients

Any two of your preferred individual M&P soap bases - any UK supplier is fine and you can choose opaque and clear bases to make layers and swirls if you wish

Essential Oils - Lavender, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Sweet Orange, Geranium, Cedarwood,
              Peppermint and Tea Tree

Fragrance Oils - Any UK toiletry grade fragrance can be used to give you maximum flexibility.

Colours - Any UK toiletry grade colourings can be used to give you maximum flexibility.

Flowers and Petals - Lavender, Heather, Rose , Calendula, Blue Malva

So...If you want to make a Strawberry Soap with Calendula Petals in Blue then you are covered by your Assessment. Or If you want to Make a swirly Sandalwood & Orange (Essential Oil) Soap with Heath Petals...you are covered. However, If you want to make a soap with Jasmine Petals and Jasmine Essential Oil with added Cocoa Butter...You will not be able to sell it legally. So, what they offer is an Assessment of the ingredients included...in any combination (provided you follow appropriate manufacturing practice - in the use of amounts of Fragrance and colouring for instance)...

If you wanted to include a different soap base (as they are only offering 2 on this particular assessment) or different petals or you want to add glitter or a range of essential oils, then they would normall charge for additional ingredients in the assessment. It's well worth emailing Scott as I know he is very friendly and helpful.

It's also worth doing a comparison chart of other places where these kinds of generic assessments are sold - some may be more expensive but offer any kind of M&P soap base and more petals (but perhaps exclude Essential Oils)...

Also might be worth you reading this thread (I posted second to last on the first page): http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...th-Bomb-Advise

Hope this helps

Jude

Comment

Hi Jude

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lengthy reply. I think I understand what you are saying - basically that I would be covered for any number of different soaps as long as the ingredients (and soap bases) are listed in the package. Does this mean I don't need to let them know about the quantaties of (for example) essential oils I am using in a particular soap just as long as the oils are on the list?
                Scott seems to come very highly recommended by a number of people so I think I they are the people for me!
                http://www.cottagesoapcompany.co.uk

Comment

You're Welcome,

Some Assessments will contain either a recipe with quantities (mine do but I got them some years ago) but many just contain the list of included ingredients. There will almost certainly be some kind of disclaimer that you would be required to follow safe manufacturing practises - for instance most Fragrance Oils recommend no more than 5% of the liquid product - if you used 50% (ridiculous, I know but just to prove a point)...then I think your chemist would be well within his rights to null your assessment, should you be sued. My personal view is that you should have a good working knowledge of Essential Oils (or someone to advise you) before starting to make your soaps....but that's just my own view.

Good luck with it all

Comment

Hi there,

i got my business startup assessment from Scott and I am very pleased with it and would highly recommend it to anyone. He is very helpful and his assessment is designed in such a way that there is no need to renew it. The quantities of EO etc., are stated in his assessments, so we need to adjust these in our recipes if it is over the stated quantity as it may be harmful otherwise. It is very straight forward, just as Bath -Bomb.com has adviced. Good luck with it!

Comment

If you still require a cosmetic safety assessment for your products I am a qualified toxicologist with over 10 years of formulation experience I would be more than happy to help. Please get in touch if you require any assistance, many thanks.

Comment

I think that the business start up does not include soap, but is for bath and body products

Comment

It's a two year old thread you resurrected

I think they're sorted by now.

Don't you hate it when that happens?

Comment

Hello

Reading the recommendation from this post for Scott, I've contacted him for the assessment.

But just wondering if I understand the while procedure correctly.

I'm planning to sell my hand made body butter. I make it at home in my kitchen.

As far as I understand, the main steps I need to take are as follows:

1. Get the safety assessment.
                            2. Get insurance.
                            3. Make my body butter at home.
                            4. Put proper label and packaging.

Then my body butter is ready to sell legally.

Is my understanding right? Or am I missing something critical?

Thank you very much for your help.

Angeline

Comment

Originally posted by AngelineT View Post
                              Hello

Reading the recommendation from this post for Scott, I've contacted him for the assessment.

But just wondering if I understand the while procedure correctly.

I'm planning to sell my hand made body butter. I make it at home in my kitchen.

As far as I understand, the main steps I need to take are as follows:

1. Get the safety assessment.
                              2. Get insurance.
                              3. Make my body butter at home.
                              4. Put proper label and packaging.

Then my body butter is ready to sell legally.

Is my understanding right? Or am I missing something critical?

Thank you very much for your help.

Angeline
                              you are missing a few of the major points.

You need to keep an up to date PIF file listing all the ingredients/methods/batch numbers etc.
                              you need a trade approved scale to weigh all your ingredients.
                              you need to upload all your formulations to the cosmetic notification portal.

THEN you are ready to sell.

You need todo this for EVERY single product and EVERY variation.

Comment

Working...
                              X