peppermint soap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peppermint soap

I am hoping someone might be able to help, I have made 2 batches (at different times) of peppermint soap (fragrance oil) and both times, when i turn the soap from the mould and cut it, the bars break into two. it hasnt happened with any other bar ive made. I know that I followed the recipe correctly so i wondered what might make this happen
    Butterfly-Crafts: Handmade Cards & Gifts Shop
    Blog
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Handmade News

Interesting...no idea...but I'm thinking there's some reason for not using peppermint EO in soap??? I could be wrong, but I have it in the back of my mind that you're supposed to use Spearmint for soap because Peppermint is too strong for skin, or at least, sensitive areas...must go looking around my multitudinous bookmarks...

Hmmm, breaking in two...hmmm....

Yes, two of my most trusted EO sources say it is irritating to mucous membranes, eyes, sensitive areas...and should be used with caution in lip balms.

Breaking in half - so, you'd say that it's brittle? Or does it break in half trying to get it out of the molds? If it's brittle or dry, it could be lye heavy. Or maybe you have too many hard oils and no balancing soft oils? Or not enough water?

I want to say that I seem to remember that actually, peppermint EO can cause brittle soap but I'm not sure. I didn't see that when I scanned through my bookmarks.
    Last edited by removed10; 25-06-2011, 07:57 PM.

Comment

I used a fragrance oil, not an EO because I too read about the stinging effect.

I wouldnt say it was brittle when i cut it, each bar just sort of cracked and broke in half. As it ph tested perfectly fine i've cut them into smaller sample sizes but annoying i cant seem to cut a full sized bar
      Blog
      Facebook
      Twitter
      Handmade News

Comment

Thank heavens you can use it for sample bars!

Well, I really just don't know, unless you perhaps didn't add enough water - what is your ingredients list for this batch? Maybe all ''hard'' oils?

Comment

Did you run your formula through a soap calc? Sounds as though it may be lye heavy?

We use peppermint EO in our shaving soap and foot soap with no problems,

Jane
          www.just-soaps.com
          Twitter JUSTSOAPS
          FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
          Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Yes I checked it, the recipe was

176g water
            70g sodium hydroxide
            128g coconut oil
            30g shea butter
            85g palm oil
            227g olive oil

9g essential or fragrance oil
            Blog
            Facebook
            Twitter
            Handmade News

Comment

That is such a shame but samples are good too, hope you manage to rectify it all soon.
              Bubbleicious http://www.fimo-heaven.com
              Folksy Shop http://www.folksy.com/shops/SweetFimoHeaven
              Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/fimo_heaven
              Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fimo-H...27078970739421

Comment

All your ingredients lend to the making of a hard bar.

Comment

The calculator I used says -

66.119g NaOH
                  178.6 g water

but i put in refined olive oil and shea butter - so if that's a wrong assumption, you can do the calc yourself - here -

http://www.soaperschoice.com/calculator/calculator.php

But be forewarned, if you make a mistake, you have to start ALL OVER - kind of a drag!

Comment

I used to do Peppermint EO soap with no issues on the skin at all. What number of hardness is it on the soap calc? Mines is usually between 45 and 47 and no crumbley effects. Try the EO (they cost the same and only use between 1 and 1 and a half percent) and see if that makes a difference
                    Website
                    Facebook

Blog

Comment

It does sound to me more like not enough water/too much lye - if you are using a recipe and then halving it for example, you need to run it through a soap calc first. I use peppermint EO blended with other EOs with no probs. Good luck and hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                      X