How to catalogue batch numbers??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to catalogue batch numbers??

Hi all, today i have taken delivery of my first order of ingredients. Can someone tell me the best way to catalogue all the individual batch numbers?? To be fair this delivery will probably be only used for practice purposes and to get my recipies how i want them so will be used by myself friends and family for feedback of my handmade products.

However i would like to start as i mean to go on and get some sort of file going with all my batch numbers.

which would be the best way regarding when i have made my finished product and i am filling out my pif on that product that i am able to find all the batch number info quickly and easily??

I hope i have worded this question so you all know what i mean!!

Thanks in advance x

Have i posted this in the right section by the way? or would i get more answers in another section of the forums? xx
    Last edited by urban_spa; 22-02-2011, 10:09 PM. Reason: adding more info!

I'm not sure what a pif is... are talking about batch numbers on some record keeping software program you all have to keep?

I write the date I made the soap, the date of the end of it's six-week cure time, the recipe, and the fragrance, and put it on the shelf where that batch is curing. Sometimes i go ahead and print out the labels for that batch, including the batch number, but don't apply them yet. I put them on that shelf, also. The batch number for any batch is the date on which i make it. If I make more than one batch of the same thing, I add A or B...never have done a C before. Two batches is usually my limit. If it's a diff fragrance altogether, I use teh date and lav or ros or whatever three letters will indicate the scent. Again, this is also on the paper and labels...

When they're cured, the soap (unless damp and sticky from humidity) goes into a plastic storage tub with a little slip of paper with the date/batch number.... The labels go into a manila envelope on top of the tub, and the "record" sheet with teh recipe and date, and any notes to self, go in a file folder.

That's just the way I do it. Probably nothing that would be pertinent to your situation, as y'all have very diff regulations. Just thought I would throw it out there.

So finding the batch info quickly, well, I just have them in order by date...the newest "record" goes in the back of the folder. So if I have a question about a certain bar, I look at teh batch no. on the label, and then look up that date in the file.

Yes, this is the right section for your question.

Comment

PIF is Product Information File, a legal requirement for each batch, which must contain MSDs ( Material Safety Data) , batch numbers for each ingredient etc. It is all about traceability, for any possible product recall.

How you number your batch is up to you, so long as if an item is queried you can locate the PIF easily.

Many people use the product type and date, ie lavender soap made today would be L24211

Hope this makes sense

Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Thanks very much for your replies very helpful thanks x

Comment

I produce a PIF sheet which I photocopy onto the back of my recipe (a printed out copy from SoapCalc), and record the batch nos of the ingredients on that. As I buy in bulk, most of the time the suppliers batch no is the same for the basic ingredients like the oils and butters so these are already on my PIF file. I simply write in the fragrance/e.o.'s batch nos etc, although Gracefruit don't give batch nos, so I just write their name against the column and make sure I've got a copy of the MSDS file on my p.c.

I think you are right to start a process now and get into the habit of recording things. You can always tweak it as you go along. I'm sure my PIF files are not absolutely 100% as they should be, as I've seen so many different examples of them, and have simply devised my own. My own batch biles consist of the letters of the fragrance and a no. for each new batch e.g. LVP001.

Hope this helps.

The Soap Lady

Comment

Do batch numbers (and info on a specific batch of soap) have to refer specifically to what items are used. The coding system suggested by Jane was one I had thought of previously. I would know what date I made it and exactly what ingredients I used. But do I also need to know exactly which bottle of EO I used (eg I may have 2 bottles of Lavender EO, or which bottle of jojoba oil I used... I do have MSDs for each ingredient

I'm now very confused
            x

Comment

Originally posted by Lorrelle View Post
              Do batch numbers (and info on a specific batch of soap) have to refer specifically to what items are used. The coding system suggested by Jane was one I had thought of previously. I would know what date I made it and exactly what ingredients I used. But do I also need to know exactly which bottle of EO I used (eg I may have 2 bottles of Lavender EO, or which bottle of jojoba oil I used... I do have MSDs for each ingredient

I'm now very confused
              x
              You should list the oils, manufacturer and their batch number, use by date etc for each item in the PIF - it is all about traacibility - may one of the oils could be a bad batch?

Jane
              www.just-soaps.com
              Twitter JUSTSOAPS
              FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
              Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Working...
              X