Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I buy Lye?

Hi,

I was wondering whether someone could point me in the right direction as to where I can buy Lye.

I am new to soap making and I want to try to make my first batch. I thought that I could buy Lye from the supermarket, am I wrong?

Thanks (in advance).

Hi,

The best place for small amounts is a DIY store or general home store like Wilkinsons.

Hope that helps

www.purethoughts.co.uk
    Natural soaps and skincare, handmade from beginning to end...

Pure Thoughts Newsletter - Free samples for 50 new subscribers every month

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for that I will try my local store.

Comment

you want caustic soda, usually found in the plumbing section of b&q homebase focus, or get it from the soap kitchen online

Comment

Thank you

Thank you both for your help.

I have just managed to buy some, so many thanks for your help.

Comment

So is there a difference between sodium hydroxide, caustic soda and lye? from what i've read there isn't but with different names being used i have become easily confused, which really isn't too difficult!!

which is the best to use?

Ty.
            Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

caustic soda is sodium hydroxide and it's what we call it over here, you need to get the beads or flakes and 100% or 99% pure, some places call it caustic soda, ie the diy stores, places like the soap kitchen call it sodium hydroxide,

It's commonly known as lye in America, and because most of the soap making forums and websites for information about soaping are in the US, most soapers call it lye just because of that reason.

So it doesn't matter what you get as long as it is 99% sodium hydroxide,

Comment

Ok, thankyou. I found some in wilkinsons, its only 98% though, is this a problem? I've already used it to make a small batch of soap with. I couldn't wait, i was a little excited about making some soap!!!
                Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

Hi,

That should be ok if you're just experimenting, but when you come to selling your soap you should use the most pure lye that you can find, which is usually around 99%.

Have lots of fun,

Leanna
                  www.purethoughts.co.uk
                  Natural soaps and skincare, handmade from beginning to end...

Pure Thoughts Newsletter - Free samples for 50 new subscribers every month

Comment

Where can i buy it from thats 99% and above? I got some from b&q but it doen't say how much SH is in it! The one i got from wilkinsons is only 98%

Sophie.x

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

I buy my lye at Essential Depot , its food grade and perfect for making pretzels, but I also use it to make soap in my spare time.

Mod edit: Please read the rules regarding selling, advertising, and posting url's before 25 posts.

By the way, this is a thread from 2007.
                      Last edited by removed10; 09-07-2011, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X