Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To wrap or not to wrap...!?

Hiya,
    I reguarly have a stall at various craft fairs... which have varying succsess at (the worst so far being two weeks ago when my car was clamped.. so i ended up £80 out of pocket!!)

I was just wondering if any of you have any thoughts about wrapping soap, i present all of mine wrapped (with samples of each for people to smell etc) But i can't help but feel it would all look nicer if it was all unwrapped and i could cut pieces from the loaves / cakes when they were wanted. but then i think... is this that hygenic.. i know that a large high street store has all their soaps on view without packaging... but i'd just hate to buy a soap which has the hair of the last "sniffer" stuck to it. (also easier labelling wise to have everything prepacked.....)

I just don't know... i was wondering what everyone else did, and if anyone had any thoughts on it!!?
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/rubadub-and-beyond

I don't do soaps or things, so unsure if there are any 'regulations' relating to them.

As a buyer, I would like to see the big blocks that you cut pieces off. To me, that would make the 'hand crafted' part much more authentic. You could put them towards the back so that they couldn't be picked up and attract 'sniffer hairs' with maybe a little sample of each at the front that they can pick up to look at and sniff etc ... does that make sense? Or put a little note saying 'testers' at the front making it clear that the bigger ones aren't for touching but they're quite welcome to pick up the smaller ones.
    Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Comment

Yep, totally agree with Potter Doodle Do!

You can then see what you're getting and brag to people that it was 'hand cut' heheh!!
      Testers at the front for people to hold and sniff is a good idea cos you know you'll get one grumpy customer who will want the packaged one unwrapping and then decide not to buy....

Comment

Hi Ellie,

I do the same as you and sell it wrapped but have samples out for people to pick up and sniff.

I know that most people love the idea of cutting soap straight from the log, but as you point out, it's a real pain for labelling etc.

It also makes it difficult to comply with the weights and measures act, because if you cut it in front of the customer you have to be able to show the customer that you are providing them with the weight stated eg 100g slice. The only legal way to do this is to travel with your set of trade approved scales! My scales cost a fortune and I wouldn't go travelling anywhere with them!!

You can sell it naked by the slice as long as you slice it before the show and have used your approved scales at home to weigh it. Thats my understanding of the regs, but if anyone knows different, shout up!

Also, if you are alone on the stall and get a rush of custom, it would be a pain to be slicing and bagging whilst people are waiting. I know it looks nice but it's not for me!!

Leanna
        www.purethoughts.co.uk
        Natural soaps and skincare, handmade from beginning to end...

Pure Thoughts Newsletter - Free samples for 50 new subscribers every month

Comment

hiya

thanks for that, it was great to get different point of views!

I think what i'm going to give a go is pre - slicing the loaves and cakes at home, but kind of leaving them in loaf/ cake form (if that makes sense!?) so when but im going to take a few uncut bits along for presentation purposes .... i guess i'll have to practice speed wrapping in case i get masses of customers (i can dream!!)

soapwitch, your soap looks gorgeous, and your website is amazing.... if my packaging was as nice as yours i wouldnt be asking all these questions, it's lovely.

Comment

don't know about rules and regs, but as a buyer I would prefer to know that people haven't touched it too much, but I do think its nice if you cut a slice off, more crafty. Samples at the front is a good idea though because if you're buying soap you obviously want to smell it. Good luck with your future craft fairs.
            Amanda
            xx

Comment

Hi,

I was at a craft fair a week or two ago and the stall beside me was selling hand made soaps. He had them out as cakes (if that's what they are called - looked more like round cheese to me though!!).

All he had done was put a score on the top of the cake and when somebody wanted some he cut it down the score line - he has been in business making soaps since the 70's and his company is quite big. It might be the regulations allow for some slight leway on weight.

Cheers.

Lisa

(P.S. He sold and absolute fortune and I didn't even make my table).

Bowed Over
              Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
              www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

oooooooooo... thats a good idea!! i've got to do something like that, as i'm a bit worried that my stall looks like a mass of cellophane and rafia :-(

Comment

I don't think that there's anything wrong with cellophane and raffia, but I know it can be difficult to make soaps and bath stuff look good enough to make people stop and look rather than passing straight past the stall! I have a lot of soap out on display and I get a little tired of everyone thinking it's cheese!? Why would there be cheese at a craft show?

Thanks for the kind comments about my site and packaging, it's taken me a long time to be happy with it. The site is just having a few adjustments made to get it ready for lots of new products! I've been testing them all and I'm just waiting for the final safety assessments to come back!

Leanna
                  www.purethoughts.co.uk

Comment

Weights & Measures

Hi,

Sorry to butt in late, but I have just spent some time going through the regs on weights and measures and the Soap Witch is absolutely correct.

If you are selling to the public them everything has to be weighed on Trade Scales, so the idea of weighing before the craft show is a really good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Soapwitch View Post
                      Why would there be cheese at a craft show?
                      Slightly off topic I know, but I've seen a wine and olive seller at a supposed "handmade" craft fair. There was lots of British-style muttering between the other sellers .... particularly as his stall was the busiest all day!
                      Blog Website Flickr

Comment

That would have made me laugh! Just when you think you've seen everything! I guess the wine could have been homemade though??
                        www.purethoughts.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Soapwitch View Post
                          I guess the wine could have been homemade though??
                          Could have been .... but it wasn't !! Well, not by him anyway!
                          Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Naughty! I hate it when that happens, you pay good money to attend a 'handmade only' event just to arrive and find a bunch of stallholders passing off things as their own! Drives me mad, especially when they spend the day taking the customers money!!
                            www.purethoughts.co.uk

Comment

ummmmmmmm... wine, olives and cheese... getting hungry now!!

i went to a "craft fair" a month or so ago, and was on a stall next to someone who was selling commercially bought soaps and bath bombs. I am now avoiding anything which is advertised as a craft and gift fair!

Comment

Working...
                              X