Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unattached Soap Labels

Hi,

Recently I came across a soap maker who was putting a separate label for their sold soap into the bag with the soap the customer had bought.

Is this OK?

While it would make life easier in some ways (we label our soaps by hand and sometimes it seems like there's not enough hours in the day ) I can see issues around this. What, happens for example if the soap is for someone else and the label gets lost?

Does anyone do this with the blessing of their local trading standards?

Thanks.
    Handmade Natural Soap from the Peak District, Derbyshire
    Handmade Therapeutic Soap,
    Organic Bath & Body Care.

Well, over here in the US the label has to be affixed to each item. Difficult to get to every market to check, I suppose...but still, why risk any wrath, life is short....

Comment

My understanding is, that, if the container is too small to hold all the relevant information the label can go on the box (i.e. for small pots of lip balm) and I also think that, if it is not feasible to label the item, all the relevant information must be available to the customer in the form of a POS display - for instance, if a seller is selling soap slices cut from a loaf the ingredients etc can be displayed on a board - this might be what LUSH do but haven't been in one in ages so not sure...
      for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
      plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
      Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Like bath-bomb said if the item is too small to have a label on it you can have the ingredients listed so that the customer can see it. You can supply a list of ingredients and batch codes etc on a small slip that they can take away with them.
        How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.

Comment

I don't know the law on this because I don't make soaps, but I bought a soap from Lush today (I love Lush) and you don't actually get an ingredients label with it at all. All it says on the label is:

"Refer to Lush times or www.lush.co.uk for list of ingredients"

Now, Lush are a fairly big organisation now so I would think they have lawyers to advise... so ... there you go!
          Princess Prudence
          Keep Calm and Carry on!
          I just love to sew and make things!

Read all about my life and times at my blog: http://princessprudencediaries.blogspot.com

Find me on twitter: @princesspru10

Comment

That has set me wondering about how they deal with batch numbers ?? How can they possibly keep track of what batch goes where and who it is sold to ect , when everything is loose and unlabeled.

Comment

Ks196,

That's what I've been thinking - it's all well & good being able to point to a website for further info (I believe a lot of the 'big guns' who make detergents do something similar) - but how do they know what batch to refer to if it all goes pear-shaped?

Also, how does the consumer with an allergy, sensitive skin or skin condition know what they're buying?

Seems to me, that while there's ridiculous nanny state legislation for certain things around cosmetics there's really lax rules on others.

I expect that this is down to lobbying by the mass-producers at the end of the day.

Comment

How many times a week does one wash there hands away from home?
                Either at work, in a cafe, public loo, friends homes etc.

Medics especially have to use the those awful gels up to 30+ times a day, I can see this is litigation waiting to happen?

As there are no ingredient/allergen listings of the soap/gels in these environments it starts to make a whole mockery of the guidelines??

It is only the buyer who gets the information, not necessarily the user.

Jane
                www.just-soaps.com
                Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

HI Jane,

"As there are no ingredient/allergen listings of the soap/gels in these environments it starts to make a whole mockery of the guidelines??"

Couldn't agree more. It raises lots of issues.

I suspect that the EU in its infinite wisdom will address this at some stage.

Comment

The regulations really are complex aren't they? I know the answer to the point about hospital gels that medics and nurses use is that they are not classified as cosmetics. Since they are designed to kill bugs on hands they are classified as medicines and come under a whole different set of rules. I have exzema and I notice that some of the moisturizers commonly prescribed by doctors such as aqueous cream contain ingredients such as SLS and old-fashioned preservatives that I wouldn't dream, as a safety assessor, as passing as OK for people with open and sensitive skin.

Small samples of shampoo etc left in hotel rooms are exempt from parts of the Cosmetic Safety Regs. I'm not sure about cafes and public loos.

Comment

Working...
                    X