Products that look like food.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Products that look like food.

A number of companies, including us, have been approached by trading standards and advised that we should no longer sell products that look like food in any way. This would include soap cakes, soaps that look like ice lollies and fruit shapes.

They are also suggesting items like a small heart shaped bath melt, soap or fizzy could be included in this as it is seen as a potential choking hazard.

Has any one here heared from their local trading standards office in relation to any of this?
    How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.

Hmm if that was the case, the shop chain known as LUSH would be out of products pretty fast! all their stuff looks like yummy cakes (i think)
    what a silly thing for trading standards to chase people up about, as long as they have a clear warning on saying not for consumption, whats the problem?!
    http://www.terrilowedesign.co.uk
    http://www.twitter.com/Hello_TerriLowe
    http://territriestwice.blogspot.com/
    email: [email protected]

Comment

Trading standards state that children under 3 can not read!

The thing that baffles me is who would leave an under 3 alone in the bathroom anyway.
      How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.

Comment

Originally posted by deedoo View Post
        A number of companies, including us, have been approached by trading standards and advised that we should no longer sell products that look like food in any way. This would include soap cakes, soaps that look like ice lollies and fruit shapes.
        If that is truly the case, it's absurd.

However, it sounds like a wind up. You may have to pander to the "PC brigade" and put warnings on (whomever came up with the idea of putting 'may contain nuts' on packets of peanuts should be shot, in my opinion) - but I don't believe they can actually stop you from selling them.

Besides, Iceland would go bust if you weren't allowed to sell fake food..
        --Matt

Web Development
        Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

The letter i have from trading standards states:

Under regulation 4 of the food imitations (safety) regulations 1989, No person shall supply, offer to supply, agree to supply, expose for supply or possess for supply any manufactured goods whitch are ordinarily intended for private use and are not food but which -

a) have a form, odour, colour, appearance, packaging, labelling, volume or size which is likely to cause persons, in particular, children to confuse them with food and in consequence to place then in their mouths or suck them or swallow them; and

b) where such action as is mentioned in a) above is taken in relation to them, may cause death or personal injury.

----------------------------------------

I have spoken to a couple of other companies and they too have had contact from their trading standards offices in relation to soap cakes, Ice lolly soaps, cup cakes, and in another instance heart shaped bath melts, chill pill bath fizzies and other small soaps as these are seen as a choking hazard.
          Children of 3 can not read therefore a label stating the product and its use was not acceptable to trading standards.

Comment

Keep out of reach of children perhaps, wouldnt parents have the sense to move something that looks like food but isnt out of their reach

and also wouldnt someone selling it be able to tell that the child thought it was for consumption and warn them.

most of my soaps look like food and smell like it, it was what got business matters interested in my stuff.

will be ringing the guy from TS tomorrow
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Soaps-...0932395?ref=ts

Comment

It does not only apply to soap etc but candles too.

http://www.satra.co.uk/spotlight/lin...on_candles.pdf

Comment

Ive just spoke to trading standards in my area, the man on the phone is going to let me know asap everything that is going on also he is going to email me relevant bits of info which I will pass on here.

Comment

Heres my reply from TDS

Gemma,
                  Please see the attached links which I hope will be of some guidance.

Regarding the 'food imitation' soaps, as you can see the Regulations are very prescriptive and state:

No person shall supply, offer to supply, agree to supply, expose for supply or possess for supply any manufactured goods which are ordinarily intended for private use and are not food but which-
                  • (a) have a form, odour, colour, appearance, packaging, labelling, volume or size which is likely to cause persons, in particular, children to confuse them with food and in consequence to place them in their mouths or suck them or swallow them; and
                    (b) where such action as is mentioned in (a) above is taken in relation to them, may cause death or personal injury.
                  I would therefore advise you against supplying any soaps which could be confused as being food.

Regarding the manufacture and sale of soap in general, the following links provide further guidance of relevant requirements.

CANT SUPPLY THE LINKS BUT THEY WERE FOR BERR

Comment

Gem,

So you had the same response as i did in the letter i got.

I have already been asked again today by one of my customers for more soap cakes but had to turn the order away

Comment

Are jewellery items also included in this?
                      www.veedubzhome.co.uk

Www.veedubz.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by TerriWoah View Post
                        Hmm if that was the case, the shop chain known as LUSH would be out of products pretty fast! all their stuff looks like yummy cakes (i think)
                        what a silly thing for trading standards to chase people up about, as long as they have a clear warning on saying not for consumption, whats the problem?!
                        I totally agree, in fact I would reply to the TS by asking them if they have informed Lush (and other such large companies) to stop selling their products too and if not then why not!!!

Are they going to slap the same warning on mobile phones, remote controls and keys coz in my experience small kids are more likely to stick them in their mouth than soap or candles

Comment

I've been trawling the net to see if I could find anything related to this.

This is an article from West Dunbarton Trading Standards Regulatory News Spring 2009

One of our Eagle-eyed officers spotted a shop selling candles in the shape of food such as ice cream and blueberry cake. They even smelled like the real thing. It is illegal to sell products which look or smell like food and which would be appealing to children who could chew or swallow them. Our action resulted directly in a product recall by the German manufacturer.

Here is the link its on page 3

www.west-dunbarton.gov.uk/EasySiteWeb/GatewayLink.aspx?alId=48908
                          I started off with nothing and I've still got most if left.

www.folksy.com/shops/fluffysstuff

Comment

All my baby gifts look like food so do i have to stop as well

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It

Comment

very interesting thread considering how much there is out there that imitates food from soap to candles and fimo
                              I suppose it is up to each areas trading standard if it is enforced but the ruling for a small business has to be the same for a large business ...be interesting to know how many lush and similiar outlets there are in the areas where this is being enforced by trading standards.
                              While I can understand the reasoning behind it it is again part of a nanny state where we again arn't credited with enough common sense to keep these things away from small children
                              Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
                              my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
                              my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X