Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any room for a new business?

Hi all,

i'm now just about ready to set up my soap and bath bomb business (thank you all for your help and support) however one of my "friends" says there is no room left in the internet crafting world for another soap making business. Does anyone out there think this is the case? i'm hoping she's just jealous!

To get onto the first or second page of google etc. you need to have some special/unique soaps - there are many pages if you enter "handmade soaps" or "natural soaps" even if UK is specified (but so many people use google.com and there's no UK option there).

"Traditional handmade soaps" (which have to be HP or CP) gets me on the first page - but not so many people will search on that particular phrase.

For etsy, folksy et al then you need visually stunning soaps (usually MP but there are some very inventive CPers out ther also) in order for your pics to stand out amongs all the others like these.

There are loads of soapmakers on ebay also.

Even getting on the first page of google doesn't guarantee a sale.

You're best building a customer base at fairs - then they're more likely to buy from your site.
    ElaineJ soap and other stuff
    website
    blog

Comment

Wow! Totally Baffled, you are a fast worker!
      On the 1st Jan you posted you were a new soaper and needed help with allergens, yet not a month later here you are ready to sell
      I'm not sure what kind of soap you plan to sell but have you been making it long enough to know how it will be in 6 months/12 months?
      Appologies if you have been making soap for years, but it doesn't sound that way.
      http://lomondsoap.blogspot.com
      http://lomondsoap.com

Comment

Hi Elaine,
        wow those pictures are amazing! i doubt i could ever make something like that. Do you think the detail is painted on or is it two different coloured soaps? Thank you so much for your help, you've really been an inspiration.

I'll have to start looking for craft fairs. Do you know where a good place to start is?

Lomond,
        Ah thank you - i admit i am very hardwoking once i put my mind to something, it's really kind of you to notice. I just hope people want to buy my soaps!

Comment

wow those pictures are amazing! i doubt i could ever make something like that. Do you think the detail is painted on or is it two different coloured soaps? Thank you so much for your help, you've really been an inspiration.
          Two different coloured soaps in most instances (I know the maker - but not where she gets those lovely moulds from) and those soaps are really outstanding (lots of practice) - they prove that MP is not just melting a base, adding colour and fragrance then pouring (as some CPers seem to think). She also adds butters and oils.

They really are an inspiration to anyone making MP soap.
          website
          blog

Comment

EJ I totally agree, there's M&P then there's Soapychica! Amazing what she does, and it takes time to get to that standard, know what will sell hoe to deliver them consitently, time after time. Sue is indeed inspirational!
            What is not is someone who melts down a base adds colour & fragrance and calls it handmade soap. Probably why some CPers get the hump.
            http://lomondsoap.blogspot.com
            http://lomondsoap.com

Comment

She's certainly hit the market - considering she started selling just this summer past (we didn't hear much from her in the months prior to then though while she sorted here techniques).

Don't give up Tot B - find a way of making your soaps unique to you (unfortunately you can't transmit fragrance across the web!)

Re Craft Fairs, you need to keep an eye on the local press, craft mags and search the internet.
              website
              blog

Comment

New business means new ideas and product line, don't be put off by your 'friend'. I have a 'helpful' sister who criticises my prices saying they are too high but wonderful forum members have told me they are not, so yes jealousy does play a part. It is hard when you are being knocked but you go for it, there is always space for more quality handmade.

Comment

ah thats great news i'll just have to practise my bum off now!
                  Thanks for your advice Caroleecrafts i guess it's hard finding that one thing that makes melt and pour soaps unique but once you do then it all pays off.

Comment

There's a soapmaker (MP) who always has crowds round her stall at Craft Fairs - lots of her soaps are the cupcake style, plain bars are beautifully packaged with little flowers and fine ribbons.

There's a lot of colour and height variation on her stall (various cake stands).

The beauty of MP is that you can get really deep glowing colours in the clear soap - or black if you use a semi-opaque base like the Natural or SLS Free. So you can aim at the Goth market.
                    website
                    blog

Comment

I'm afraid i have no idea what the cupcake style soaps are? i think i may be feeling alittle overwhelmed at the moment as i seriously doubt i could compete with some of the amazing soaps that people like soapychica make. I'm really intrigued by her business after looking at her site.

Comment

Have to say, go with what you feel is right for you. Everyone looks for different.

I looked at the pics of the very pretty soaps, all lovely and intricate but not what I look for in hand made soap.

Personally I prefer the lovely soaps cut from a block with mixtures of colours and smells (look at Lomond's site)

These to me shout hand made

See, so everyone is different an looks for different things!
                        Diane
                        Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

I looked at the pics of the very pretty soaps, all lovely and intricate but not what I look for in hand made soap.

Personally I prefer the lovely soaps cut from a block with mixtures of colours and smells (look at Lomond's site)
                          Good demonstrations of the difference between MP and CP.

Interesting loaves/blocks can be made with MP - but there are so many cheap ones on the wholesale sites (very recogniseable on sellers' sites).
                          website
                          blog

Comment

Working...
                          X