Cost of certification?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of certification?

I realise this is probably a "how long is a bit of string?" type question, but I just wanted to get a rough idea of how much it would cost me to certify recipes for soaps and cosmetics.

I'd like to make a small range of items such as MP soaps with different scents
    and colours, lips glosses/balms, handwash, body lotion.

I only want to produce small quantities for a local country market, so if the cost of certification is too high, I don't think it would be worth my while to do it.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of the costs involved?

You'd need 4 different SA/Certs (average about £100 + VAT depending on ranfge of ingredients) for a range like that of your own recipes and it could be that the lotions would have to be challenge tested (which I gather is meore expensive).

Some of the soap supplies sites offer assessments which are tied to their own products and formulae.
    ElaineJ soap and other stuff
    website
    blog

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineJ View Post
      You'd need 4 different SA/Certs (average about £100 + VAT depending on ranfge of ingredients) for a range like that of your own recipes and it could be that the lotions would have to be challenge tested (which I gather is meore expensive).

Some of the soap supplies sites offer assessments which are tied to their own products and formulae.
      And extra certs if you use different processes with your recipes... M&P is just one cert but cold process hot process and whipped are all seperate certs..

what about ready certified M&P as long as there is no change to ingredients and only just melted and poured...

"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."
      www.fairyalchemy.co.uk
      fairyalchemy.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by FairyAlchemy View Post
        And extra certs if you use different processes with your recipes... M&P is just one cert but cold process hot process and whipped are all seperate certs..

what about ready certified M&P as long as there is no change to ingredients and only just melted and poured...
        Thanks for the replies.

The ready-certified thing sounds like it could be the way to go - I don't think I could justify the cost of certification at the moment, since I'm only likely to be selling very small quantities, at least initially.

Another question: since it's the recipe/process that is certified (rather than the person), is it possible to buy certified recipes?

Comment

As far as I know, it's the person and their ability to make soap, lotion, bombs etc that is judged, not the recipe. I can change the recipe in each and every batch but my assessor has deemed me qualified to formulate a reicpe and for it to be safe to use. Soaping is not a quick win whatever method you try! I've only be selling for a wee while after 2 years of refining, trying and retrying different recipes. Probably a couple of thousand quid had been spent before I sold anything.
          Don't let that put you off though
          http://lomondsoap.blogspot.com
          http://lomondsoap.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lomond Soap View Post
            As far as I know, it's the person and their ability to make soap, lotion, bombs etc that is judged, not the recipe. I can change the recipe in each and every batch but my assessor has deemed me qualified to formulate a reicpe and for it to be safe to use.
            But the legislation says that the products need to undergo health assessment, not the producer.

Soaping is not a quick win whatever method you try! I've only be selling for a wee while after 2 years of refining, trying and retrying different recipes. Probably a couple of thousand quid had been spent before I sold anything.
            Don't let that put you off though
            As I only want to produce a small amount to sell in a local market, of course I'd let that put me off! I simply couldn't justify spending that amount of money - I would never recoup it.

Comment

I think I can clarify this - there are some assessors who require specific recipes and there are others (like mine and LS's) who evaluate a list of ingredients for soap (e.g. a variety of MP bases and additions or oils, butters and additions for CP/HP) then look at the Good Practice Statement and certify that soaps to be made, given the information in the two documents, will be safe and suitable and the assessment is issued to a named person.

It's possible that the assessment can be transferred to another - but all procedures stated must be followed and there cannot be any variaton from the listed ingredients without contacting the assessor.

Obviously the latter assessment gives you much more possibilities and such a one can be obtained via Sarah Janes she's not been well but it could be worth contacting her.
              website
              blog

Comment

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

As all I want to do at the moment is M&P, and I'd only be using bases and additives from a supplier such as the Soap Kitchen, I can't see that it would be possible for my soaps to cause any health problems. I'll look into the certification question: thanks for the link.

Comment

Hi Soapstar,
                  I went through all this and I got put off by the cost. It sort of went £100 for the investigation and processing the paperwork and certification and £15 for each ingredient used. I have the name and details of a lovely chemist who is used to 'the little people' and weird requests if you want to talk things through with him.
                  Sorry, I'm new here and I've forgotton how you can send a private message, but anyway you are welcome to contact me if you have figured out how to do it.
                  AnnieAnna

Comment

There's a description of Gracefruit's Assessment here at £99 + VAT - but you are bound to her clear and opaque bases and she mentions "fresh ingredients". It does provide you with the paperwork etc.
                    website
                    blog

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineJ View Post
                      There's a description of Gracefruit's Assessment here at £99 + VAT - but you are bound to her clear and opaque bases and she mentions "fresh ingredients". It does provide you with the paperwork etc.
                      The assessment covers her ingredients by default but you CAN liaise directly with the cosmetic chemist after the assessment has been issued to have extra ingredients / alternative suppliers added on for a small additional fee.
                      Carol

Resin jewellery, encaustic art paintings & gifts | Twitter!

Comment

Originally posted by cbld View Post
                        The assessment covers her ingredients by default but you CAN liaise directly with the cosmetic chemist after the assessment has been issued to have extra ingredients / alternative suppliers added on for a small additional fee.
                        The FAQ on her site says:
                        If I buy an assessment from Gracefruit.com, do I also have to buy the ingredients I use to make the assessed product from Gracefruit.com?

No, you are free to use any reputable supplier, but please ensure you obtain the relevant paperwork (MSDS, etc) from the supplier for your records.

which sounds quite reasonable to me.

Thanks again, folks!

Comment

Working...
                        X