• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ElaineJ
    Super crafter
    • Oct 2008

Felted Soap

I saw some felt covered soap on a member's website but can't remember whose (forgot to bookmark it).

I've covered soap with felted wool from time to time but never met a felter or a soaper in the UK who does this apart from one stall in the woolly section of a craft fair and the ladies said they used bought soap.

I've not put any on my website as I'm not sure about getting consistency in weight of each individual felted soap.

Just wondering whether there are any other forum members doing this.
    ElaineJ soap and other stuff
    website
    blog

• craftynclothy
    100+ crafts club
    • Jun 2008

Me!

I get my soap from another work at home mum and I do the felting. I don't worry too much about them being the same weight as long as they're all above a certain weight iyswim.
    http://www.craftynclothy.com

http://www.folksy.com/shops/craftynclothy

http://craftynclothy.blogspot.com/

Comment

• FairyAlchemy
      100+ crafts club
      • Aug 2008

Hi I have a felted range, for the weight I start with a soap about 20g more than I need the finished one to be, then after I've felted and dried for a while it sort of evens out. since i sell each range weight wise I find the lowest weighing one and for the label something like min 100g seems to cover it and legally...
      Hope that helps...xx

"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."
      www.fairyalchemy.co.uk
      fairyalchemy.blogspot.com

Comment

• Scorch
        Super Big Crafter
        • May 2008

Ermmm... felted soap? Can anyone explain?
        Cheers,
        Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
        Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

• ElaineJ
          Super crafter
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by FairyAlchemy View Post
          Hi I have a felted range, <snip>
          Hope that helps...xx
          Yes - it was your site!

Thanks for the guidelines.
          website
          blog

Comment

• ElaineJ
            Super crafter
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Scorch View Post
            Ermmm... felted soap? Can anyone explain?
            It's a bar of soap completely enclosed in felt (no seams) and as the soap is used the felt shrinks down further and if it's had a goodly cover you can make a slit and slide in more soap - or make a felt pouch/purse/mobile phone cosy depending on the size and shape of the felt.

This is the Fairy Alchemy felted soap .
            website
            blog

Comment

• Critchley
              Super Moderator
              Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
              • Jun 2008

Thank you for asking Scorch I though I was the only ignorant one here so dare not ask and thanks for the clear explanation Elaine. Where do you all get your ideas from, it would make a super Xmas gift.
              Carol
              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

• Scorch
                Super Big Crafter
                • May 2008

Ohhhhh, right! That's an interesting idea...
                Cheers,
                Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

• ElaineJ
                  Super crafter
                  • Oct 2008

I saw some examples on a US felt site then eventually found these instructions.

I particularly like his instruction description Wet Cat Stage - it's not for the newcomer to felting!!

Felted soaps don't seem to have caught on in the UK though they've been popular in the US for years. I haven't worked out whether it's felters who aren't into soapmaking or soapers who aren't into felt. I haven't yet met anyone face to face who makes both soap and felt.
                  website
                  blog

Comment

• craftynclothy
                    100+ crafts club
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                    Thank you for asking Scorch I though I was the only ignorant one here so dare not ask and thanks for the clear explanation Elaine. Where do you all get your ideas from, it would make a super Xmas gift.
                    I'm felting some Xmas scented soaps for a craft fair on Saturday. They're sat next to me and the smell is gorgeous!

Felted soaps don't seem to have caught on in the UK though they've been popular in the US for years. I haven't worked out whether it's felters who aren't into soapmaking or soapers who aren't into felt. I haven't yet met anyone face to face who makes both soap and felt.
                    For me, it's the cost of certification for soap making that stops me making the soaps myself. It's a lot to pay out and with having an 18month old who won't go to bed til about 9.30pm it's finding time to make everything. I also like supporting another work at home mum - she's someone I've bought products from for a while now and I'd rather give her some business than me fork out a load of money for a product I don't really want to spe******e in. At the end of the day I'm a felter/jewellery maker not a soaper. I don't have the time to dedicate to soapmaking to make it worth my while.

I imagine that most soapers either aren't aware of felted soap or think it's more complicated than it is.
                    http://www.craftynclothy.com

http://www.folksy.com/shops/craftynclothy

http://craftynclothy.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Lomond Soap
                      100+ crafts club
                      • Oct 2008

Like Elaine said, I've seen a lot of these on US soap forums and whilst I really like the idea and look, I've never looked into the "how to". Elaine already makes felt pots, which are gorgeous BTW.
                      Another thing to add to my ever growing "things to do" list!
                      http://lomondsoap.blogspot.com
                      http://lomondsoap.com

Comment

• Critchley
                        Super Moderator
                        Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
                        • Jun 2008

Elaine are you likely to have solved your weight problem in time for Christmas? Let me know if you are able to sell any.
                        Carol

Comment

• ElaineJ
                          Super crafter
                          • Oct 2008

I'm going to make some Myrrh & Frankincense soap at the weekend - it's Hot Process so will be ready in 3 weeks when it's dried out I can felt some of that - or make another as well with different essential oils (the only fragrance oils I use are Honey and Milk 'cos there aren't any EOs for those, I tried Beeswax absolute but was too expensive to up the fragrance strength in honey soap).

What colours/fragrance would you like - I have loads of wools and essential oils.

Take a look at FairyAlchemy's site and C&C's - they have felted soaps which you might like.
                          website
                          blog

Comment

• Critchley
                            Super Moderator
                            • Jun 2008

I have a "Best Friend" whose b'day is New Years Eve, she is a very Irish lass so this year I have made her an emerald green evening bag and want to put green smellies in it. One or two of your felt soaps would just fit the bill. We have been friends for 40 years now and have often bailed each other out of the odd scrape over those years. Brought our children up as single parents and paid each others bills when desperate. Thankyou for considering me, I appreciate it. Look forward to hearing from you when they are ready.
                            Last edited by Critchley; 31-10-2008, 12:14 AM.
                            Carol

Comment

• ElaineJ
                              Super crafter
                              • Oct 2008

I have loads of greens!

I'll do Myrrh & Frank and go to bed working out an EO blend which would suit Ireland.
                              website
                              blog

Comment

Working...
                              X