Newbie soap regs question!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie soap regs question!

Hello! I'm new and have a question about regulations for soaps with something suspended inside them (for example, soaps with plastic toys inside).

I've been looking into safety assessment certification for soaps - would that include an assessment of a suspended object as well, do you know? Are there any extra regs for objects in soap? I've tried to contact a couple of labs, but either haven't been able to get through or am still waiting for email replies ... so I thought there might be an expert or two hanging around here

Thanks in advance for any tips & advice!
    Carol

Resin jewellery, encaustic art paintings & gifts | Twitter!

Hiya,

This isn't something I have a definate answer to so I'm really just putting my two-penneth in.

If the soaps are for children under 3 I believe there are a different or rather additional set of regulations governing the production of bath or body care items for very young children. If the soap is aimed at older children or adults then I wouldn't think a lab would be much help - but I am prepared to be corrected.

I think the other hing to bear in mind is that if these are aimed at children you might also be governed by laws about health and safety of children's toys - it might just be putting warnings on labels to cover yourself if an ignorant parent gives the soap to a small child who then swallows the toy - but also health and safety legislation about where you got the toy and whether it has been certified as safe.

Sorry i can't be more help
    for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
    plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
    Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Thanks v much for your reply!

I also received a response to one of the mails I'd sent to labs etc.:

"Small toys, etc are not covered under the assessment, but can be included in your products. You'll need to be sure they don't contain lead or any other banned colours or substances (this can be an issue if the toys are coming directly from China). The best thing to do is to make sure the toys have carried the 'CE' marking on the packaging, and perhaps save the packaging as proof should any problems every arise.

You'll also need to put a special disclaimer your packaging that says something like 'not suitable for children under the age of 3' if the toy is small enough to be a choking hazard."
      Carol

Comment

Hi,

You are welcome - it would seem I have a bit of common sense!!!
        for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
        plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
        Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

give these people a ring....http://www.smallburgh-labs.co.uk/homepage.html
          astleysoapco.co.uk

Comment

Hello I have been after similar information and already contacted the link above but not heard back and have also tried to phone - bad customer service puts me off of a company immediately.

CBLD, which company was it that you got a reply from?

Maybe I am too impatient.

Comment

Yep, puts me off too ... although I've seen a LOT of recommendations for that company!

I had my reply from gracefruit.com.
              Carol

Comment

Working...
              X