Any advice for first-time soaper?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice for first-time soaper?

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum. I've searched round and registered on here as I fancy having a go at soap-making but really need some advice and guidance.

Ok, so I've got some books, and have made a list of all the bits I need, but does anyone have any advice for me trying cold-process soap-making for the first time.

To be honest, the idea of using sodium hydroxide is quite scary. If I'm sensible is it really all that bad/dangerous?

Also, I read on a website somewhere that it is safer to use an electric hob rather than gas. I only have a gas hob. Will this be a problem do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Piglet.

hi piglet

you could try this forum, there are a lot of soapmakers on there.

http://csnsforum.co.uk/index.php

hth
    vicky
    Eternal Flame Candles
    www.eternalflamecandles.co.uk

Hand Made in Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Piglet6 View Post
      Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum. I've searched round and registered on here as I fancy having a go at soap-making but really need some advice and guidance.

Ok, so I've got some books, and have made a list of all the bits I need, but does anyone have any advice for me trying cold-process soap-making for the first time.

To be honest, the idea of using sodium hydroxide is quite scary. If I'm sensible is it really all that bad/dangerous?

Also, I read on a website somewhere that it is safer to use an electric hob rather than gas. I only have a gas hob. Will this be a problem do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Piglet.
      Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) is needed to convert the fats into soap. NaOH acts as salt to emulsify the water and oil to make soap. NaOH should be treated with care/respect.
      I have a gas hob and have been making soap for sometime. It does not matter what heat induction you have - assuming you are making cold processed soap.
      blog
      site
      fanpage

Comment

Hi Piglet.. to melt your oils it does not matter what you use, for cold process i use quick blasts in the microwave as the temp is low.

Treat your lye like you would treat any chemical 'carefully' once you are used to using it you will wonder what the fuss was about.

You will find people recommend vinegar on hand to neutralize the lye if it spills on you, vinegar does not neutralize it but if its caustic soap on you, it gets rid of the oil on your skin that keeps the lye close to your skin and really helps. But don't worry I'm sure your careful carrying your boiling kettle and you hopefully will be careful with this.

If your really worried you could try a chemical suit and look like an extra from bad boys... hey its fashionable lol

"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."
        www.fairyalchemy.co.uk
        fairyalchemy.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
        X