Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on buying soap supplies......

Hi there,

I am new to soap making, I have 'The Handmade Soap Book', and I'm now really keen to get going...but pretty much all the places to buy soap supplies in the back of the book are out of date.....

I'm worried about going to the wrong place to buy supplies, as the initial spend is going to be huge anyway, without risking getting a bad supplier....

Please can anybody recommend a good place to buy my set-up supplies? I'm in Port Talbot, Wales...or I can buy over the internet.

Thanks heaps

NZ Moonchild

Hi there are lots of people on here that can help with your supplies... hey gals why you not answer yet hehe.

For me its carol at soaposh, sensory perfection, justasoap and soap kitchen you can google them all..

have fun

"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."
    www.fairyalchemy.co.uk
    fairyalchemy.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you for the recommendations! That will give me a few hours browsing time!

Comment

Oh might take more than a few hours... I still keep going back to have another peek..

"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."
        www.fairyalchemy.co.uk
        fairyalchemy.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi
          I mostly use www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk and www.justasoap.co.uk there is also www.soapbasics.co.uk

Hope this helps and enjoy and have fun
          The Soap Fairy xx
          www.thesoapfairy.net

Comment

Soap Making Supplies

Moonchild

Just want to say hi. I am new to this myself, trying to glean bits of information here and there, feel free to ask me anything, you never know I may just have come across what you are looking for. I have just ordered some stuff thru just a soap, they seemed OK.

Didin't spot your post last night was watching tele, heehee.

Theresa
            xxx

Comment

Well, I have started to wade my way through some of the sites.....I think I will have to not be so greedy and redo my wanted list for only 2 batches of soap......I had about 20 different types of soap on my list I wanted to try.......but its going to cost a fortune! I am a very clean person........but not THAT clean.....what would I do with it all anyway????? I have a feeling this could become addictive!

What types of soap do you recommend as a beginner batch?

Comment

Hi NZ Moonchild

I make melt and pour which is what you do melt it and pour it. I starting by buying a kit from www.justasoap.co.uk which comes with some soap base, mould, plus you can choose fragrance and colour. This will give you a taste for making the soap - I then got totally hooked making soaps as gifts and presents for family and friends then got my certification so I could sell.
                The Soap Fairy xx
                www.thesoapfairy.net

Comment

I was just going to suggest Soaposh too... She's got oodles of soap bases for M&P including some exclusive SLS free ones that she's had manufactured...

If you want any advice then drop her a line and she'll be more than happy to help...

I don't do a lot of M&P but I get it all from her... Fragrances - check out Jo's range of UK cosmetic oils at Sensory Perfection...

HTH x
                  Ann-Marie
                  The Soap Cellar

Comment

i started by buying a kit from hobbycraft it wasnt cheap but got me interested enough that i have been buying supplies ,the one thing i am finding rather expensive is the essential oils. any ideas on where to buy them cheaply? xx jo xx

http://kinglakescrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, I have decided to jump straight in and try a simple recipe from the book.....I always did like a challenge! At least I don't have to buy to much to make it....

As you say, the highest cost is the essential oils! I have found a couple of places on line that do 100mL of Lavendar Oil for approx. £16.00 plus postage, Amphora Aromatics (you need to call to order these volumes) and Norfolk Essential Oils......or I found 100mL of Lavendar Oil for £5.00 plus postage on Ebay.....I wonder which I will try....

Next to find Sodium Hydroxide.......

Comment

Originally posted by NZ Moonchild View Post
                        Well, I have decided to jump straight in and try a simple recipe from the book.....I always did like a challenge! At least I don't have to buy to much to make it....

As you say, the highest cost is the essential oils! I have found a couple of places on line that do 100mL of Lavendar Oil for approx. £16.00 plus postage, Amphora Aromatics (you need to call to order these volumes) and Norfolk Essential Oils......or I found 100mL of Lavendar Oil for £5.00 plus postage on Ebay.....I wonder which I will try....

Next to find Sodium Hydroxide.......
                        is that Lye? if so i havent got a clue where you would get that from,,,,i am stuck on finding Epsom salts xx jo xx

http://kinglakescrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh another soapper.......yey we're starting to take over, fantastic!!!
                          Your going to LOVE finding out about all the different oils and butters that are available out there.....
                          My friend and I make cold prosses soaps and we're also big fans of the soap kitcthen, but we also source lots of our ingredients from local sellers too.

Have fun making a mess, but most of all be stay safe this can be hazardous.

Jode
                          x
                          To see our handmade bath and beauty productcs, all made with fair trade organic oils and butters, please click the link to our Etsy shop below:
                          http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5184519

Love & Bubbles
                          Jode
                          x

Comment

I'm pretty sure that you can get epsom salts from the chemist....at least in New Zealand you do.......hope that helps?

Comment

Originally posted by jode View Post
                              Oh another soapper.......yey we're starting to take over, fantastic!!!
                              Your going to LOVE finding out about all the different oils and butters that are available out there.....
                              My friend and I make cold prosses soaps and we're also big fans of the soap kitcthen, but we also source lots of our ingredients from local sellers too.

Have fun making a mess, but most of all be stay safe this can be hazardous.

Jode
                              x
                              Tell me about it! I have spent about a year looking at books and ingredients.....I am only now about to take the leap into making! I think I have delayed because once you start....how can you stop! As soon as I decide what to make, I see something else that looks fantastic! No more buying Christmas presents! Soap for everybody!

Thanks for safety advice....I planning on making this an after baby is in bed hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X