Apple soap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple soap

Hello to all handmade soap experts there!
    I have made only three CP soaps yet so I am here for your advice..

My other half won't stop asking me for a soap with an apple fragrance.
    I read you can use cucumber, carrot etc for mixing it with lye or adding at trace. Can you do the same with, say, apple juice? or would it made soap go rancid? What is the way to go about this? Would these natural additives give apple smell to the soap bar?

Advice on making natural apple soap please!

Funnily enough I was chatting to another soapie the other day about this very topic - fruit juices in soap...

She had a very valid point - some fruit juices will be acidic... Subbing them for water could have a real neutralising effect on your alkaline caustic soda solution... That's something which might have an effect on the potential for rancidity - although apple's not going to be as acidic as an orange juice or other citrics...

We've both used carrot and cucumber juice which has worked well - not from any scent perspective though I have to say...

My own personal preference is for a completely natural soap - but I've got family and customers who are led by their noses and I think personally, for a really good n' crisp apple scent - it might be best to look at a quality fragrance oil and add about 2% at trace...

Sorry I haven't got any other bright ideas - I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has used fruit juices successfully with no detrimental effects on long term freshness... x
    Ann-Marie
    The Soap Cellar

Comment

I've not used fruit juice in a soap before, but Roman Chamomile has a sort of appley fragrance, so perhaps you could cheat that way?... It's quite strong though so you'd only need a little. I find that a 5% dilution in a carrier oil still gives a decent fragrance.

Lilian

Comment

Ann-Marie, thank you for your reply. I decided to avoid fruit juice and used cucumber & avocado instead. Found Apple blossom natural perfume (organic) to buy from one of the online shops (in future I will go for something cheaper ).

Lily-Anne, thanks for advice. I will definitely try Roman Chamomile EO next time. Sounds good enough to try.

Anyway, just wanted to thank you guys and show my still very fresh soap (nothing much to display but looks rather edible, doesn't it? )

(ups I guess I am not allowed to insert a pic as yet)
        Last edited by lauritta; 11-07-2008, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I make an apple soap, with apple cider and apple fo.

Comment

I make an apple and garden mint soap and use apple extract and apple juice
            and i've just tried today an apple and peppermint one that uses fragrance oils.. I'm waiting on the outcome of the second..
            Mai yours sound like it smells lovely

"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."
            www.fairyalchemy.co.uk
            fairyalchemy.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by FairyAlchemy View Post
              I make an apple and garden mint soap and use apple extract and apple juice
              and i've just tried today an apple and peppermint one that uses fragrance oils.. I'm waiting on the outcome of the second..
              Mai yours sound like it smells lovely
              What do you think apple extract and juice give to the soap?
              I understand smell does not last..

Comment

Originally posted by lauritta View Post
                What do you think apple extract and juice give to the soap?
                I understand smell does not last..
                Hi yep the smell does not last but it is there slightly it would need supplementing with apple fo, I use it for the antioxidant properties and add the extract at trace and do not gel as its the heat from the sponification that kills some of the properties (err well that's how my oh's chemist father described it, he is fab at formulations).. The garden mint is for similar properties and I just like it..

This week I'm going to try apple puree as i've so many of the blooming things (15 apple trees) so i'll let you know what happens on that one..

The apple and Peppermint one won 1st place at a craft show.... cool and smells wicked... Theres a piccy in my album..
                Good luck I hope you find the smell your after

"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."
                www.fairyalchemy.co.uk
                fairyalchemy.blogspot.com

Comment

Apple and mints sounds great think i might give that one a go xx jo xx

http://kinglakescrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I recently bought a very nice EU Certified granny smith fragrance from ebay to use in my soaps.

Comment

Originally posted by lauritta View Post
                      Hello to all handmade soap experts there!
                      I have made only three CP soaps yet so I am here for your advice..

My other half won't stop asking me for a soap with an apple fragrance.
                      I read you can use cucumber, carrot etc for mixing it with lye or adding at trace. Can you do the same with, say, apple juice? or would it made soap go rancid? What is the way to go about this? Would these natural additives give apple smell to the soap bar?

Advice on making natural apple soap please!
                      Anything mixed directly with the lye is not going to retain it's fragrance, and also, fruit juice is high in sugars - would heat up the lye temp dangerously, I should think. Be careful!

Comment

Working...
                      X