lye for soap making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lye for soap making

I have been using lye 90% - 100% from Homebase. But I would like to replace it with a more pure lye (99% or 100%) suitable for soap making.
    Could anyone advise please where do you get your lye supplies? Ta.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

The soap kitchen sells caustic soda 99-100%

HTH,
    Becky x
    www.purplesparkle.co.uk
    http://purplesparklecrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you so much! Did not know about soap kitchen. I found their site and will order some NaOH from them. They do not state whether their lye is 99-100% though.. but I guess it should be if it is for soap making..

Comment

Originally posted by lauritta View Post
        I have been using lye 90% - 100% from Homebase. But I would like to replace it with a more pure lye (99% or 100%) suitable for soap making.
        The lye from Homebase is suitable for soapmaking. You can get pure lye for cosmetics but that is very very expensive.
        blog
        site
        fanpage

Comment

Originally posted by lauritta View Post
          Thank you so much! Did not know about soap kitchen. I found their site and will order some NaOH from them. They do not state whether their lye is 99-100% though.. but I guess it should be if it is for soap making..

I checked on a bottle that I have from them!
          I'm not sure about the price comparison to Homebase as I have always bought from SK, but if there is a big difference and it's still ok to use, maybe I should check that out too!
          www.purplesparkle.co.uk
          http://purplesparklecrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks again for your replies. I guess I will continue using lye from Homebase then, I double checked the label - it says 99-100%. What a relief don't ask me where did I get 90% from..

It is probably cheaper as you don't pay for p&p. I can't tell you the exact price but I believe I paid up to £2.00 for 500g.

Comment

Working...
            X