Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycled Glass Beads?

Hi

Does anyone know of a UK supplier of beads made from recycled glass? Unfortunately the only suppliers I have found on the internet so far are based in USA and other countries. Having them shipped from such a distance kind of goes against the whole point of them being eco-friendly. Any info would be grately appreciated.

Thanks!

There is a lady who attends the Nantwich bead fair who makes beads and jewellery out of recycled glass. Here's her website http://www.nikiguy.co.uk/shop/page/1?shop_param
    Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

I'm sure a lot of lampworkers would make you some beads from glass - you could probably even supply the glass yourself. I've made a few from an old broken vase of my grans, and I know a lot of people have used Bombay Sapphire bottles as its a fab bluey colour, and wine and beer bottles are popular too. The problem with using recycled glass is mixing different types of glass - they may not be compatable. It is impossible to tell just by looking which broken bottle will be compatable with another, and if they are incompatable, the beads will just shatter. This means other than single colour beads or decoration with things like silver or gold leaf, you will end up with very plain beads. Were you after something in particular?
      SAM x

Comment

Shame I can't plug myself here,

but this web site sells Fair Trade glass recycled beads from Africa

http://www.africanfabric.co.uk

This may be useful for you

Debbie
        www.beadservice.net
        On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Recycled Glass Beads

Hi,

I lamp work beads from recycled bottle glass! I've just finished my degree and am just starting out, there are lots of examples of the beads I make on my website, it's www alipantsart.com. I'd be very happy to supply anyone who's interested and will make things to any specific requests if I can.

Hope this is helpful,

Ali xx

Comment

I was also going to suggest you contact some lampworkers - its not something I do myself as I don't take on custom orders - but many lampworkers do. So not only would you get something recycled, it would certainly be fair trade too in a way as you know the lampworkers won't be making themselves work in unfair conditions :-) Not unless they are strange, anyway!
            Emma
            www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
            www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
            www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

REALLY?? Beads made by recycled Glass? is that save?

I didn't know that there is a beads made by a recycled glass. all i know is a Beads made in MURANO Glass..
              authentic pandora charms
              Pandora
              Charm Beads
              Chamilia

Comment

Working...
              X