Non tarnishing findings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non tarnishing findings

Hiya, I usually use silver plated chain, jump rings, toggle clasps and beads in my jewellery, but find that anything silver plated tarnishes very quickly, especially if the wearer gets perfume on it or fake tan, moisturiser etc. I am trying to find out what alternatives there are out there for silver coloured findings that are less likely to tarnish - the sort of look that you get with the jewellery in 'Next' - very shiney silver, but doesn't seem to tarnish, does anyone know what metal that is? Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

I think there is something called rhodium that is the least tarnishy metal around.
    Im afraid its a case of letting the customers know that perfume/sprays etc will effect the metal so its down to them how they treat it.
    I use sterling silver chain and add a leaflet saying how to take care of the necklace when(if) i sell things and give them a grip seal bag to keep it in when not wearing it.
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Hi
      We put care notes in with all our silver plated items explaining how they should be kept and looked after, and for more exspensive products we put in a small piece of anti tarnish silver cloth.
      Some of our bought in tiaras are rhodium plated but I have not seen jewellery findings with it. We always use sterling silver or silver plated as so many people have allergies to other metals.

Comment

I put care instructions in with the items too, not much else you can do.
        Although I have heard about an anti-tarnish spray, but I haven't tried it.
        Sarah x

Muddle Website
        Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

I always use sterling silver findings and some of these are rhodium finished and these have a more lustrious look, almost platinum. The rhodium finish is basically a coating that is applied to the sterling silver and it makes it more tarnish resistant and less likely to scratch....so is the better option I think.
          To reduce the tarnishing of findings I try to keep handling at a minimum and also keep items in a sealed bag always!!! away from exposure to air as this will oxidise the metal.
          Oh and I always use an anti-tarnish cloth on items before sending out.
          As for tarnishing with wear....I think most people will accept that jewellery will tarnish over time especially plated, but that sterling silver which they will pay a little bit more money for will be free from tarnishing for a bit longer!

Hope this helps. x
          Claire xx

Etsy Shop: www.DemonDaisy.etsy.com

Comment

Thanks ever so much to everyone who replied, your answers are really helpful. xx

Comment

As mentioned Rhodium is a plating used which does not tarnish. It's related to Platinum and has very high chrome like shine.

Rhodium is plated onto base metal or Sterling Silver to prevent tarnishing. Some people still prefer the softer silver colour of Sterling Silver, and if items are worn regularly and kept in clip bags when not, it will takes ages for it to tarnish.

Good quality silver plated findings, have a decent layer of silver plated onto them, and should be able to be polished back up. Lesser platings such as 'silver coloured' once tarnished, often can't be.

I think Rhodium plated will become more easily available soon, as at the moment the variety of items is limited.

Debbie
              www.beadservice.net
              On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Thats interesting about rhodium plating, a few years ago I took my gold wedding ring to a jewellers and had it rhodium plated, I went off gold and wanted it to match a new platinum ring I had. I think it cost me about £15 to do, and they said it would last for about 6 months. I did look fantastic at first, like new, but it did wear off eventually back to the gold underneath and much sooner than 6 months.

I found a new supplier yesterday and she told me they used several different finishes on their findings. When I told her what I was after she suggested tin plating, and said it was the same price as silver plating. She sent me a sample this morning of a chain plated in tin, it looks ok, not quite as bright as silver plate though, what do you think? It doesn't sound very attractive does it though 'tin plated!' xx

Comment

Working...
                X