Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beading for kids?

hoping for some pointers and advice.

My daughter (11) loves making bracelets and neklaces etc. she was given a kit last year, and more at christmas, and I ot her some yeaterday, to "play" with,( and take her mind of her injured foot).
    She has made some nice creations, and loves making things to give away as prezzies, but the thing is, these are all the cheap plastic, kiddies toy type beads, so these efforts only get worn by recipients who are kids.

Methinks the time has come, to buy her some proper beads, findings, etc, but nothing expensive, so ideas and suggestions please..
    Oh and keep it simple, no real bead techy terminology, as you might as well be speaking in a foreign language.( only discovered the word 'findings' since joining this site!)

How about picking up some nice acrylic beads for her? They can be really cheap (especially if you pick up a bargain on ebay) and a lot of the time, they look just as good as glass beads. Also, she could thread them onto some clear elastic threading and make some bracelets that will look quite grown up because of the beads used, but still be easy to do.

Also, what about chunky wooden beads? She could paint the beads and then thread them onto ribbon so that the beads take up the centre of the ribbon, with a knot at each and and a long length of ribbon to tie instead of clasps? I'm rubbish at explaining things, so I do hope that made sense!

Comment

love the idea of the ribbon ! ( that's given me more ideas, with all the special christmas ribbons around too)!
      anyone give me any ideas re bead prices, so I can assess from ebay or wherever what is "cheap", and the same for findings and any other required bits

Comment

If your daughter has started using pliers, you could have a look at the Trumpet Flowers I have on the site.

Mini ones 6x4mm
        Medium ones 8x6mm
        Large ones 13x8mm

Lots of colours, and very girly, especially nice for Spring time
        If you think you might be interested have a look on the site under 'Pressed Beads'

Debbie
        beadservice.co.uk
        www.beadservice.net
        On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Thanks for that I'll have a look

She doesnt use pliers yet.. and now my 13 yr old son's go interested too!!

Looks like I'm gona have o get into beading as well

Comment

Do you find boys are wearing more jewellery nowadays?

I find rubber thong for stringing beads onto is going well, and I imagine people are using it to make male style jewellery

Debbie
            beadservice.co.uk
            www.beadservice.net

Comment

don't think he'd wear any just fancies playing around withsome and making stuff. The eldest(15) has had a few of those woven bracelets,withhis name or fotball team etc..

Comment

Well you never know, rather than be a wearer, he could be a good maker.

Let's face it, when you think of the 'jewellery world', there's still a predominance of men running jewellery shops, being silver smiths, gem cutters etc.

Debbie
                beadservice.co.uk
                www.beadservice.net

Comment

....................not many seedbeaders though..........! Me and Dustin Wedekind!!

Comment

Well that's what makes your special and unique Peter

Debbie
                    www.beadservice.net

Comment

How about felt beads? But she might need a little help with pushing the needle through the felt, sometimes it's a bit tough. I've got a few on my site you might like to take a look at.
                      Sarah
                      For 100% wool felt supplies, felt balls, buttons, ribbon, needle felting supplies and lots of other lovely stuff, visit BLOOMING FELT

Blooming Felt's Blog

Comment

oh they are lovely. have to sow them to her and see what she says.trying to make list of all the lovely websites I've come across on here for he to look at, and then I'll know what kind of Stuff to consider getting her!

Comment

Working...
                        X